Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 3rd time that I've gotten this code in 2 months. The first 2 times I had a slow response on 02 sensor with it. Yesterday the only code was a misfire on cylinder #5. It did skip the other morning for like 30 seconds after it was started up but it did go away. The engine light came on later that afternoon. I ordered a new O2 sensor for the code the other day but it hasn't come in yet. What could but causing this misfire condition only in the morning sometimes?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Pull the spark plug and take a good look at it. Usually a misfire is caused by something like a bad plug or possibly a bad coil for that particular cylinder. The O2 sensor fault is because the engine is misfiring on one or more cylinders. You probably will not need to replace your O2 sensor if you fix the misfiring quickly. However, over time a misfiring engine can cause the O2 sensor to fail.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Also, misfire codes can be caused by a stuck closed injector. Often, a stuck injector will recover as the engine warms.
Only know this cause one of my Impala's did it. I hadn't started it in months, fired it up, had a misfire immediatly, misfire code within 30 seconds.
Plug was dry,so I exchanged it with next cyl up. Misfire stayed with first cyl. and did not move w/plug. I let it run abot 10 minutes, and I could hear the cyl. start picking up.
Was fully functional within a minute or two. I cleared codes and threw a bottle of injector cleaner in it.
Concern has not recured since.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts