Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to wait to start this thread until I could post my results with pictures, but based on ldc2335's comment in another thread, I'll start it now.

I have an '07 Commander with the REF radio, from what I can tell, the base features across the board. I'm putting a Kenwood DNX7100 Nav into it this weekend and my plan was to take a lot of pictures along the way and post them when I had everything installed and working.

I am not a professional installer by any stretch. I'm just someone who likes to do things myself. So I'm sure I'm going to make some mistakes and do things that you experienced folks will be cringing about. But at least I'll learn along the way.

If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. Probably my biggest worry is knowing what to disassemble to best run all the wires and how to do it without breaking anything. I want it to go back together and look like it's never been touched.

If there's anything you want to see in the photos, let me know that, too.

I'm putting in:
Kenwood Nav/DVD/Radio
Kenwood Bluetooth accessory
PAC C2R-CHY interface/harness
Double-DIN bezel
Metra 99-6510 double-DIN kit
License plate frame rear view camera
Cables to the headrests of both front seats for future monitors

·
Registered
343 Posts
derossi said:
I was going to wait to start this thread until I could post my results with pictures, but based on ldc2335's comment in another thread, I'll start it now.

lol....im sure im not alone in my ranting in the other thread....

but, none the less excited to see this install..i was ready to drop a grand on the stock nav but heard it was way outdated compared to the aftermarket at equal price, so i decide to wait and do everything else first....i also dont realy go on trips etc to often so its hard to convince myself i need it..

but the manually scrolling through mp3's with the stock deck is driving me nuts and sirus doent ever have crap i like..

as far as pics...more the better mostly if your splicing factory wires..its nice to know which ones..good luck

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow...a screen for ever person!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The ones on the visors where 11 inch but i switched them out for 9.2 inch, the 4 headrest are 11 inch with custom made rebuilt headrest, and I still have 4 more 11 inch screens im going to put, but dont know where yet.

·
Registered
527 Posts
24s on Air said:
The ones on the visors where 11 inch but i switched them out for 9.2 inch, the 4 headrest are 11 inch with custom made rebuilt headrest, and I still have 4 more 11 inch screens im going to put, but dont know where yet.
Do you take your commander to shows?

·
Registered
451 Posts
That is SO COOL!!!
Put the other ones outside so when I follow you I have something to watch!!!
Safety First!!!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Pimp My Ride! Open the lift gate and fold out the screens and 360....while you are.....tailgating! Tailgating for the 49er's or Browns......or Buckeyes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My install

I installed my Kenwood this last weekend. There was some trial and error, but for the most part it went very smoothly.

The biggest problems I ran into were trying to figure out how to remove some of the panels and pieces in ways that didn't destroy them. In particular, at one point I wanted to remove or loosen the top part of the dashboard so I could route the GPS antenna where I wanted it. Another time I wanted to route the microphone for the bluetooth adapter up near the rear view mirror, but I couldn't figure out how to take off the mirror.

I found alternatives to both of these problems, but it would be nice to know how I should have done what I wanted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silly rules

I should have a full writeup and pictures posted shortly. Forum rules require four posts before I can post anything with a URL in it.

This is my fourth post. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installation with pictures

Click on each picture to get a large version.

Here's my '07 base Commander and the factory REF radio:

And here are the pieces I bought to put in it. The smaller box is the bluetooth accessory, the large bag is the Metra 99-6510 trim/mounting kit, the single cable is the antenna adapter, and the package in the lower right is the PAC C2R-CHY:

I chose the C2R-CHY instead of the Metra CHTO-01 because I wanted easy access to the reverse and vehicle speed wires, and wanted it to work in my Jeep that doesn't have the factory amp. The only thing that wasn't clear was whether the PAC supported the Retained Accessory Power feature that keeps the accessory power after the key is removed until the door is opened. But I called PAC and they said it was supported and I can now confirm this from my own experience.

I also went with the PAC instead of some of the simpler wiring harnesses that are meant for tapping into existing wiring. As a result, I had to make zero wire splices to the Jeep's wiring. In fact, I was able to avoid doing anything permanent. Everything I did can be 100% restored to the way it was.

continued...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The REF radio is a "1 1/2 DIN" radio, and the knobs extend outside the rectangle with extra semicircular cutouts. The Kenwood is a double DIN size. Crutchfield and other sites say the Kenwood won't fit in a Jeep with this configuration because of this. Fortunately, there's a simple fix which is to get the bezel that goes with the factory navigation system (REC). Here's the bezel:

The bezel comes off very easily with an allen wrench. You don't need to remove every screw, since six of them are just decorative and stay in the bezel. When you buy the bezel as a part, it should have the six screws installed.

Here's the dash once the bezel was removed:

Removing the radio requires removing four screws. Save these screws because the Metra trim kit doesn't come with any, so you'll want to reuse these. The basic REF radio only has the CANBUS connector and the antenna going into it:

continued...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I wanted to put the GPS antenna on the dashboard on the passenger side, and it took me a while to figure out how to run the cable. I tried to remove or loosen the dashboard, but I couldn't figure out how. It appears to be attached somewhere close to the passenger dashboard speaker, but I was unable to see where, and I was not willing to just use a bunch of force and hope that it was a pressure-fit connector. There are also three screws above the glove box that are screwed in from inside the dashboard. There was no way I could reach in there to unscrew them.

The side panel at the end of the dash just pops off, though. And the handle and vertical panel come off with a couple of bolts. With those removed, I found that you can slide the cable in around the edge of the dashboard. Fortunately there were no screws or other obstacles between the front edge and the point where I wanted the cable to come out. So that's how I got the antenna where I wanted it.

This picture shows the antenna still wrapped in its plastic bag, and the gray cable accessible when the side panel is removed. It was a simple matter, then, to route the cable into the radio area by running it behind the glove box.

And here's another perspective that makes it easier to see where I put the antenna. The cable runs immediately under the dashboard; it does not run above the dashboard along the window at all.

continued...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

By using the PAC harness, all of my wiring was done outside of the Jeep. Here are the cables I started with. The two on the left are from the PAC kit and the one on the right is from the Kenwood.

Then it was just a matter of connecting each wire to its counterpart in the other bundle. I decided to use solder and heat shrink tubing instead of crimp connectors. Despite just a few diagrams and terse instructions, it was really easy to make the right connections. Wire colors are standardized enough that you would probably get everything right if you just matched colors. Here's the harness partially assembled:

And this is a closer view of some of the connections. Because I don't have the factory amp, I connected the front and rear speaker connections and the radio controls fading. You'll also see that I connected the parking break switch to ground so I could access all of the Kenwood's features without having to stop and put on the parking break.

Here's the harness fully assembled. The gray connector in the upper right plugs into the Jeep's CANBUS connector. The black connector on the left and the smaller 4-pin connector near the "REAR R" label plug into the Kenwood. The smaller connector near the large gray connector is for interfacing to steering wheel controls, which my Jeep doesn't have. The two other black pastic boxes are fuses.

Finally, here's a close-up of the connections with the heat shrink tubing applied.

continued...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Mounting the Kenwood in the Metra trim kit is easy. For a double-DIN unit like this one, you have to cut out part of the plastic that divides it into two single-DIN sections. All the pieces are plastic which doesn't feel that strong. But after the radio is screwed in, it all feels pretty solid.

Before I actually installed the Kenwood, I needed to route the cable for the bluetooth adapter. Since my phone is usually in my pocket or next to the shift lever, I put the adapter on the drop-down panel below the steering wheel.There's plenty of room and routing the cable was super easy.

The cavity for the radio had a bracket that pushed down on the top of the factory radio. The Kenwood did not fit with the bracket there, so I took it out. It was just held in by the two screws you can see in the picture. Here's before and after:

continued...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I really wanted to put the bluetooth microphone near the rear-view mirror. But I couldn't figure out how to get up into that part of the ceiling panel. I figured the mirror would be easy to remove and then I could remove the plastic panel. No such luck.

In fact, the mirror has a large box-like part with a cover that comes off if you push a couple tabs with a small screwdriver. But after removing the cover, it turns out that the box is empty and there are no obvious screws or ways to remove it when you look inside:

I did discover, though, that the small storage area with the elastic straps above the driver's visor pops right out. With it removed, it was easy to route the microphone cable over the ceiling panel and out the front next to the windshield.

Here's a view from another angle to see where I placed the microphone before I popped the storage panel back in.

(The clip that holds the microphone was actually too short once the panel was put back,and I broke it when I tried to bend it into a better shape. I made a substitute clip with some scrap aluminum, but I don't have the right tools and it also broke later. So I'm going to have to make a new clip someday. Meanwhile, the mic is on a very short cable coming out of the ceiling and it is held up by the visor.)

I removed the vertical panel with the handle and routed the cable down that way. Like with the GPS antenna cable, I found I could slide the able in around the edge of the ceiling panel all the way around.

Here's the mounted bluetooth box with its cable and the microphone cable attached and tie-wrapped to prevent the excess cable from going where it shoudn't.

And here's the ultimate result with the microphone:

continued...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The rest was anticlimactic. Installing the Kenwood was a matter of simply plugging in all the cables and mounting it with four screws. The Metra installation kit fit perfectly and there was plenty of room behind and next to the radio for all the cables.

The bezel went on with no problems, too. It fit perfectly.

So here are the final results:

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
One of the best do-it-yourself examples I have seen. Great job and nice pics, almost makes me want to do it. I have no need to do it but if things change in the future at least I will know where to look. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts