Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I had my first check engine light on my 06 - not bad for 90,000 miles and 11 years old. I tried to do the key dance to get the code, ign switch on/off 3 times quickly - It takes a lot more skill now that the ign switch has had the recall done ( 6 months ago) and you must push it in to turn, sort off. Anyway it took about 15 tries and finally got my code of P0520 - Oil pressure switch. I checked oil and OK, engine sounds fine. Reset by pulling battery neg cable and no more check engine light. Will see if it returns. Funny, I just had the dealer do some repairs (3 days ago) and not sure if related, do not know where the switch is yet but could replacing the trans oil cooler lines be close to it? They also replaced the water pump and front Diff bushings. Any ideas?
By the way - where is the oil pressure switch on the 5.7??? Couldn't find it in the service manual!

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to consider buying a Flashpaq tuner - so you can not only read your current DTC's but also clear out the old stored ones.
One code to read and clear in 11 years - do not think the tuner is cost effective:frown2: But I really love tools so there is a chance.

·
Administrator
6,233 Posts
One code to read and clear in 11 years - do not think the tuner is cost effective:frown2: But I really love tools so there is a chance.
Yea, reading & clearing DTC's is just one of many functions they perform.

If it's within your budget, I'd highly recommend getting one.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the oil pressure switch/sending unit yesterday and no more check engine light. While changing it I saw one of the wires (brown/yellow) had a bare spot on it. Nothing near it that would cause it. Last week I had Chrysler replace the front differential bushings and that is very much in the area of the sending unit and wires. If it throws a P0520 again I'll know where to start. To repair a wire in there would be a challenge but doable. Picture attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Wire repair

Electrical Contact Cleaner and some vinyl dip should seal it with out a lot of bother, Clean it Well and Dry it Better Before You paint on the dip.

Swanny

·
Administrator
6,233 Posts
I replaced the oil pressure switch/sending unit yesterday and no more check engine light. While changing it I saw one of the wires (brown/yellow) had a bare spot on it. Nothing near it that would cause it. Last week I had Chrysler replace the front differential bushings and that is very much in the area of the sending unit and wires. If it throws a P0520 again I'll know where to start. To repair a wire in there would be a challenge but doable. Picture attached.
If the wire itself is not frayed at all and its just missing a piece of the insulation - and you haven't done something with it already, I'd just cover the exposed piece of wire with some liquid electrical tape and you shouldn't have to touch it again, it will be permanently sealed and it's quick and simple.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Picked up supplies this morning - electrical spray cleaner and liquid electrical tape.
Thanks Inferno and Blue - cleaned the wires and coated with the liquid tape.
I wasn't as worried about further corrosion, was thinking more of a broken wire or intermittent fracture.
but cleaning it up and protecting it is a good move. Pictures below

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,233 Posts
Picked up supplies this morning - electrical spray cleaner and liquid electrical tape.
Thanks Inferno and Blue - cleaned the wires and coated with the liquid tape.
I wasn't as worried about further corrosion, was thinking more of a broken wire or intermittent fracture.
but cleaning it up and protecting it is a good move. Pictures below
That's good work rblapham.

It's never a bad thing to protect an exposed piece of wire.

You'll never have to worry about those wires again.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll never have to worry about those wires again.

Sorry but I will worry about it, I never got a good enough look at the wire to see it's actual condition as my eyes are not that good anymore and could not get close enough either. So worry I will as it is patched and not fixed properly. But it is only for the display and monitoring and will not cause damage to the engine if it breaks, I can tell just by ear if there is no oil pressure. So far it has been behaving:grin2:

·
Administrator
6,233 Posts
Sorry but I will worry about it, I never got a good enough look at the wire to see it's actual condition as my eyes are not that good anymore and could not get close enough either. So worry I will as it is patched and not fixed properly. But it is only for the display and monitoring and will not cause damage to the engine if it breaks, I can tell just by ear if there is no oil pressure. So far it has been behaving:grin2:
Well if nothing else, it shouldn't get any further damage, as that wire is now protected from the elements.

Best of luck with it rblapham.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Tempted here as well, but Advance Auto Parts in my area lends you their code reader to check and clear codes for free. Had a check engine light after changing my spark plugs this weekend...checked the code with their reader, saw it was intake-related, took care of the issue, then went back and used their reader again to clear the light...all good now (and free). As much as I'd like to have my own tuner/code tool, it's not easy to justify the $$$ just yet...we'll see:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts