Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06 Commander, Black, 4.7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First off let me thank you all for the great info I have gathered so far.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I am having to replace my fob battery about once every week. They keep dying. I replace them and the fob works fine as it should, then about 5-7 days later the battery is dead. I have tried different brands etc, and it happens regardless. They keep getting chewed up. I have taken all the guts out and cleaned contact surfaces, bent pins back to their best connection angles.....everything. Asked the dealer and they said try our batteries, which I laffed at since Jeep does not make batteries so they will only massively overcharge me for a rebrand of something I already bought.

I suppose the next step is to buy two more fobs and pay to reprogram one (I only have the one of my own now) and then use those two to reprogram the third. Then put this original one away and use it for emergencies. However my fear is there is another issue triggering the fob (no idea what that could be) and causing the batteries to die and, if that's true, has anyone heard of anything like this before. If it is a thing, then no matter what fob I use it will just continue.

Any thoughts and feedback are appreciated

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
266 Posts
First time I've heard of something like this. We've had our '06 Commander since '09 and we've only changed the fob batteries once (maybe twice??). Is it just the fob that's attached to the key (not sure if different model Commanders had different style fob's)??

I'd be interested to see what the resolution to this will be.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My 06 key fob sometimes goes dead when I shove it into a plastic zip lock bag and put the bag in my bicycle shirt pocket. I always figured that one of the buttons pressed on something causing it to activate the system on a 3 hour ride abd cause it to die. Just a thought.

·
Registered
06 Commander, Black, 4.7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 06 key fob sometimes goes dead when I shove it into a plastic zip lock bag and put the bag in my bicycle shirt pocket. I always figured that one of the buttons pressed on something causing it to activate the system on a 3 hour ride abd cause it to die. Just a thought.
Definitely is not an issue here. My keys hang on a key rack until I need them and I rarely put them into my pocket or anything. They are on a carabiner so they don't rub anything. No resolution yet but hoping that using new keys will cure the issue.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have had this issue with an aftermarket fob from ebay. I bought it to have a spare key, and used it primarily until the 3rd or 4th battery change, when I decided to keep it as the spare and went back to using the OEM key, which I don't think I've ever changed the battery in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ive had this issue with the original key. Even bought in bulk, like 60 batteries online. I read somewhere that with age, the transmitter radio in the key fob takes more power to project. And our key fobs are /always/ projecting a signal. Not just when you hit a button.

No need for a dealer, just download the AlfaOBD app, JSCAN app or appcarFCU on PC and program the key your damn self! Either a 8 dollar one from ebay, or a OEM one from the dealer. I did the former out of desperation, worked well enough but felt flimsy. OEM one cost 169

Use the app to obtain your SKIM code, then follow the instructions and youre all set.

As an aside, its what makes our commanders real easy to steal by next gen car theifs. Leave your keyfob by the door, and some loser copies the signal it gives off, programs a new key with it and steals the jeep! But id imagine this is exceedingly rare 😋

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you do not find the cause, I used a TOMS KEY for like $100 which includes the FOB and ability to match it to the vehicle. It worked excellent.
This avoids going to dealer. Also, i think if you have 2 fobs you can do it cheaper, may be confused.
I now have 3 FOBS for commander. Yes found 2nd fob after buying additional one.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,219 Posts
@jviews
Welcome to the forum.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here for instructions - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

·
Registered
06 Commander, Black, 4.7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive had this issue with the original key. Even bought in bulk, like 60 batteries online. I read somewhere that with age, the transmitter radio in the key fob takes more power to project. And our key fobs are /always/ projecting a signal. Not just when you hit a button.

No need for a dealer, just download the AlfaOBD app, JSCAN app or appcarFCU on PC and program the key your damn self! Either a 8 dollar one from ebay, or a OEM one from the dealer. I did the former out of desperation, worked well enough but felt flimsy. OEM one cost 169

Use the app to obtain your SKIM code, then follow the instructions and youre all set.

As an aside, its what makes our commanders real easy to steal by next gen car theifs. Leave your keyfob by the door, and some loser copies the signal it gives off, programs a new key with it and steals the jeep! But id imagine this is exceedingly rare 😋
Bought a key off Amazon. Good quality and finish. Dealer charges $80 CAD to program it and another $10 to cut it. This way I have someone to bitch at if it goes south, although I am sure they will just blame the key. I'll use the new one all the time as I agree with what you said. Age etc and the fob is just not functioning as it should any more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts