Jeep Commander Forum banner

Key fob swap

7K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  bblickle 
#1 ·
Sure it's been discussed couldn't find it
I'm looking to purchase a few new key fobs
I found the flip up style keys has anyone swapped to this style?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
I just ordered one of these from Amazon, you take the the board from the inside of your old Key FOB and place it in the new one and have the key cut. So no need for reprogramming. Once it arrives here I'll let you know how well it works

#8 ·
Where did you get this... I am totally interested. First saw something remotely close in Heidelberg, GE years ago in a European VW. Have never seen them in the USA for older vehicles. Allot less wear and tear on pockets with the key folded in.

#9 ·
#11 ·
The flip key FOB arrived today! Went to a locak hardware store to have the blank cut then put the board into the new FOB. board functioned fine. The build quality of the housing didn't inspire me with the greatest of confidence. Had to remove some interior plastic left over from the plastic mold injection. A roller pin needed to be removed to even have the key cut. Bad news is the key doesn't work, could turn the ignition or even the car door lock. I'm a little puzzled as why this is the case, but upon looking at the keys side by side i did see that the new one is longer. I'm no expert with keys or locks, but here is a pick with them side by side. Also an interior pic showing the left over plastic from the injection mold.

#12 ·
@RoninSpectre, Thanks for getting back to us with your results.

Reactions: RoninSpectre
#18 ·
Here are some more close up pic of the actual key Fob, from what I can tell so far the case has a little bit of flex when you use it. In one instance I had to take it apart because the silver button had seized up and you could not retract the key back. There is a noticeable gap where they key button is and I've gone ahead and clean up any excess plastic that needed to be removed. You pay for what you get and this was only 10 dollars. So keep your expectations in check if you choose to get one. I'll be using it from now on and see how it holds up, but I'll be holding onto the original key just in case this one doesn't work out. Included some more pics

#19 ·
Here are some more close up pic of the actual key Fob, from what I can tell so far the case has a little bit of flex when you use it. In one instance I had to take it apart because the silver button had seized up and you could not retract the key back. There is a noticeable gap where they key button is and I've gone ahead and clean up any excess plastic that needed to be removed. You pay for what you get and this was only 10 dollars. So keep your expectations in check if you choose to get one. I'll be using it from now on and see how it holds up, but I'll be holding onto the original key just in case this one doesn't work out. Included some more pics
View attachment 41112 View attachment 41113 View attachment 41114
I received a new set of Key FOBS when I had the ignition switch recall done a few years back, so, I'm not in need of any new ones.

I was just trying to help you figure out what the issue is. I'm glad you got the key working.

#23 ·
You know I was looking around a bit and I found a different flip kep FOB on ebay, here is a link
I may order this and just program it, perhaps it has a better build quality than the one I currently have

#24 ·
You know I was looking around a bit and I found a different flip kep FOB on ebay, here is a link
I may order this and just program it, perhaps it has a better build quality than the one I currently have
Give it a shot; Nothing ventured nothing gained.

#25 ·
Ok back again after receiving the different flip key FOB. I can already tell you the build quality is much better. Now gaps or flex in the housing like the previous one. The button membrane is vastly superior. The board uses button rather than snap buttons so you get an audible click when using this, but doesn't bother me. Suffice it to say I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this one. One noteable difference is the key blank was shorter than the other so the FOB does sit closer to the ignition, there are not clearance issues though. The previous key FOB with it's longer key did sit out about a quarter inch farther, something I didn't care for. One very important point to make here is that you need TWO working key FOBs here in order to program this correctly. IF not you'll need a special tool to do so or go to a dealer. Here are some pics of the FOB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.