Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so many Commander owners having to replace their PCM's, due to age & wear, I thought this information was important enough, to make it a sticky for easy reference;

1) First & foremost, replacement ECU's / PCM's must be specifically programmed to your Commanders VIN, or, they will not function properly.

2) An existing/working master key FOB is required. (Documentation states "an existing master key is required" - I'm making the assumption, that they mean a working master key FOB)

3) The Transmission Control Module is integrated into the PCM, on Commanders with the 4.7L & 5.7L V-8 engines.

4) The PCM is attached to the right front, inner fender located in the engine compartment. See the diagram below which is for a 3.7L V-6 engine; I've verified it's in the same location on my 4.7L V-8 and I assume it's in the same location on the 5.7L V-8;

5) There are specific Key Re-learn procedures when you replace the PCM; You can find them here;

Other important PCM installation information;

Also, here are few places you can order remanufactured ECU's / PCM's from;

OEM Jeep Commander PCM ECM ECU TCM TCU (allcomputerresources.com)

Auto Computer Performance engine computer ecm repair pcm repair ecu performance programming, PCM repair & supply, performance programming Margate, FL

Jeep PCM | Jeep ECM | Jeep ECU | Jeep Engine Control Module (fs1inc.com)

Keep in mind, some of these places may ask for a core charge until you return your old ECU/PCM to them;

allcomputerresources.com (The first link I posted) did not ask for a core charge, when I ordered my spare PCM, back on 12/14/2021.

I hope the JeepCommander.com Community finds this information useful.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
Blue

Looks like the link for the "re-learn" procedure dropped. Can you add in please?

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue

Looks like the link for the "re-learn" procedure dropped. Can you add in please?
Seeing it fine on my end;

Maybe refresh or try a different browser;

Looking at it on my Smart Phone right now, with no issues seeing it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On the subject of the PCM. The one in my 2010 commander seems to have learnt two fault codes that are now permanent
in the PCM according to the OBDII reader. Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix? The erase codes only removed pending and current codes but the two codes P0016 and P0014 remain as permanent???

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the subject of the PCM. The one in my 2010 commander seems to have learnt two fault codes that are now permanent
in the PCM according to the OBDII reader. Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix? The erase codes only removed pending and current codes but the two codes P0016 and P0014 remain as permanent???
@bertrada ; Try disconnecting your battery for at least 30 minutes & then reconnect it;

This will perform a hard reset of the PCM & SHOULD clear any stored DTC's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have done that several times, it removed the current codes but the codes show on my Foxwell OBD reader as Permanent codes...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just ordered a PCM from Allcomputerresources.com to replace the existing one. I'll update on how that works out. Dealership stated they had no way to diagnose whether it was a PCM issue, sensor issue or a timing chain / mechanical issue. Despite me advising the vehicle with codes reset ran perfectly, no audible noise (listening with stethoscope) on the front cover , performance and fuel consumption normal..

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,785 Posts
The PCM location is the same on the 5.7 Hemi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading the re-learn process which I did not do, I'll try that Blue to see if it makes a difference. But I did find a power draw on the Fuel Pump fuse/ Relay.

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Blue, I ordered a new program PCM from Flagship with the right VIN and the last codes came up without trying to start. I am in the process of talking with Flagship about the lost of comm with the PCM. Thanks bud! I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
something seems weird about that - sounds like they didnt flash the pcm if it had codes already before starting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts