Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I am still a little disappointed that my 09 is not part of the ignition key recall, because they replaced all the 08 FOBIKS with a newer version, yet my 09 still has the older version, it really makes no sense—but I dont believe my issue is key-related anyway.

Hope this can help someone in the future, I did a lot of searching everywhere to figure it out and there is very little information on the subject.
Yes they did @superheady, I had mine replaced - it is actually the ignition switch recall - not ignition key, although they do give you a new set of key fobs when they change the switch out. It was the P57 safety recall; Recall attached.

I edited your post so you can see the image without having to click on that link. I also re-sized your image to get it down to a more proper size for the forum.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Well, agree to disagree. I have a 2009, everything Ive read, including your pdf, say 2008. I even called Chrysler, checked my VIN online and have 0 recalls for it. Like I said, Id love the recall because you get new FOBIKs.
Maybe you misunderstood what I posted @superheady - but I was actually agreeing with you, I just went into a little more detail about the recall itself for those who may not have been aware.

You are correct - It does not apply to the 2009 model year.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Lol, yes I did misunderstand. It's a bummer too because the 08's got newer FOBs than our 09's do--it doesnt make any sense...
Agreed, it doesn't make much sense to me either, considering the recall didn't come out until September of 2014, I'm sure they used the same ignition switches in 2009 & 2010 models.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
So just a little information on that recall. I have the 08 and getting that recall done when I had virtually no problems with my ignition etc before was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Now it’s just not starting. I’ll drive it somewhere, handle business come back out and can’t start my car. The check engine light and my electronic throttle control lights pop on and there’s literally no crank. Sometimes it gives half a crank and just quits. Sometimes it just starts right up like nothings wrong. Sometimes i try to drop my truck into neutral to see if I can start it that way and my shifter is locked won’t let me shift it at all, and there have been times that when I start it it’s almost like it’s idling High. My rpms look normal but it runs rough and usually when that happens if I turn her off she ain’t starting again for another 6-24 hours. Temperatures seem to be a non issue. I have replaced my alternator, starter, and battery to no avail. I will be having a new ground run soon along with some other fixes that hopefully find the trick but at this point I wish I hadn’t done it because everything has been an issue since I got that recall done and my mechanic just told me someone else who works there went through the same issue and ended up turning their truck in and getting a different make car altogether which really makes me nervous. Good luck guys!
It could be a bad ground, an intermittence or short in one of the wires going to the starter - if you were fine prior to having the recall completed and these starting issues only started after the P57 recall was completed you need to immediately go straight back to whatever dealership completed the recall and see the service manager A.S.A.P. and get this issue fixed.

There is a yellow wire that goes to the starter that is known to cause intermittent starting problems if it is not properly connected or if it has any corrosion on it that has not been properly cleaned off.

How long ago did you have the ignition switch replaced?

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
March 7th I had the recall done. I had issues with the key sticking and whatnot that seems to have subsided but the no start issue is seemingly getting worse, of course until I have it towed up to a mechanic, then it starts up fine.
I assume you mean March 7th of 2018 which was over 8 months ago - did the starting issue start showing itself right after you had the ignition switch replaced?

Or did it not start showing up until a few months later?

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Yes 2018. The issue started about three months later after the recall
Since this is a starting issue - where you can at least make a valid argument that it could be related to the ignition switch that was replaced, I'd take it back to the specific dealership that replaced the ignition switch, talk directly to the service manager there, and have them look at it and see if they can diagnose the issue.

The only thing that really isn't working in your favor is that the ignition switch was replaced 8 months ago.....but, I would think they would still look at it without charging you - especially if you had the recall completed at the same dealership where you bought the vehicle.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Hi this is an old thread but just in case your like me and bought a Commander used and this is now happening to you the part you will need is a D2F-01 switch it’s inside the gray part circled in the picture. The gray part just Unclips and the switch is on the inside they are extremely cheap to buy you will pay more for shipping or you can take apart an old computer mouse there are normally three of them in there. I just fixed my 2009 commander that had the same problem as the key not turning all the way off.
@Buellscott ;

Welcome to the forum;

Please read the 1st post of the New Member Required Reading thread below & complete your user profile signature as directed;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Thank you.

Big Blue; JC Forum Administrator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts