Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been searching all over but cant seem to find an answer to my problem.

My 2008 Comander key got wet (fell in the bottom of a canoe) and maybe sat in the water for 5 minutes. The key wouldnt lock or unlock the car but it does start the car normally when inserted in the ignition. After putting it in rice over night and it being in the sun all the next day, it responds to pushing the buttons but nothing happens. Example: when i press lock or unlock, the indicators flash. But the doors wont lock or unlock, and the headlights dont come on when the car is first unlocked (all of which it used to do).

The information i have found so far all says i need two keys to even attempt reprogramming but im not even sure thats what i need. Again, the key will start the car and let me drive no problem, its just the lock, unlock, and other key functions that wont work.

Any ideas?

-SP

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The key to my 06 Xk has gone throught the washing machine full cycle at least twice and still works. Does your second key work, if so I would open the bad key let it dry out then replace the battery or try the battery from your good key to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You might have to go to the dealer and get a new key programmed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
wet key

I dropped mine in the pool. Keypad DOA. Can I open the door and start it without the remote function. We are on vac with only one key, more than 200 miles from home. It's drying now over night, I took it apart.

I know if I open the door with the key the alarm will go off but there is no mention of a procedure to turn it off. I just want to start the vehicle and drive home. Any help is appreciated.

Forgot to mention it is a 2006 model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you locked it remotely, the alarm will sound, but should shut off once you start the XK.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. The manual mentions SKIM, a programmed key. If the electronics in the key are ruined, I understand it should still start but we'll have to lock/unlock by hand until we get a new key.

We bought our XK new in 06 and never thought to look for this site. I didn't even know XK was discontinued until last night. thanks for your help I stayed up most of the night just on this site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but it looks like there were two of us with the same problem, a soaked fob.

I dried mine out overnight and put it back together. I called two Jeep dealers and spoke to service techs. Both were very discouraging, one told me I could open the door but that was all, I should get my stuff out of it and have it towed to the dealer, the electronics were shot, I would not be able to start it. The other said I could unlock the door and "see if it starts", he didn't know.

The short story, I tried a couple of clicks and no luck. I opened the door with the key, the alarm went off, and I jumped in and it started right up. I drove it just to make sure, then I locked it manually.

An hour later at checkout I instinctively pressed the unlock button on the remote and everything worked! The remote is working now but I have ordered another. Still locking it manually just in case.

Apparently when I started it the fob reset maybe?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for their input. I used a combo of your suggestions. I disconnected the battery (+) and then doused the key fob in rubbing alcohol. Let it dry for maybe 30 min in the sun and the remote works like new. Huge relief!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.