Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I was in my wife's Commander. As I was going down the highway, my knee hit the key and accidently turned the vehicle off. It seems that the position of the key and the size of it allowed my knee to hit it and spin it to the off position.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I'm 6-2, so that may have contributed to the situation as my knees tend to stick up a little.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ahhh - thanks for the links. Surprising that Jeep hasn't done anything to correct the problem as it doesn't seem to be an uncommon occurance.

I will warn my wife so that she is prepared in case it happens to her.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Just try to keep the knee back as far as possible (might be tough if you are of taller build). I wonder if 2008's have the kind of ignition you have to push in to turn (like the 2007 Wrangler has).

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Like I said in another thread, I did this recently. Nothing bad happened - and I was going 65 down the interstate with a Ford Taurus on a car-dolly in tow. The dash gauges went out and I obviously couldn't accelerate. I click the switch back to "On" - didn't have to go back to "start" - and everything fired up right where I left off. I can't complain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not worried about damage to the vehicle, but imagine if you were trying to pass on a two-lane road or merge into traffic when you lost power. Odds are nothing bad will happen. But I'd still rather not have to worry about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts