Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was informed by my salesman when I bought my JC is that if you have a spare key WITHOUT the Keyless entry module, the JC will not be operable after driving the car for about 2 minutes. He was telling me that the programmed Keyless entry module is a "security" feature to make sure who ever drives the JC has the proper key with the keyless entry module for the JC to be drivable. Is this true or not? I haven't tried it yet but once I get a reg. spare key made, I'll test it out. But does anyone know the true facts of this?

Wanted to know if I should get an aftermarket alarm or if this security feature is adequate enough to ensure no one drives off with my JC.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought my JC used and only got 1 key. I bought an uncut blank with transponder off of ebay. Shipping and all I paid $56, the dealership sent it out yesterday to a locksmith to get it cut for me. I am supposed to pick it up today. The dealer did not even realize it wasn't a mopar key. i am sure it will work fine as the "guts" are OEM. saved $100!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
topcop38 said:
why didn't you get 2 keys when you bought it? maybe they forgot?
The seller said that he "lost" the 2nd key, which I think means that he was too lazy to look for it. However, I bought it 700 miles from home, flew out and drove it back so I am not really worried about someone finding the key and using it on my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Let us know if it worked. When I bought my JC the dealer could only find one key. The dealer bought a blank and had the key cut. I had to take the car in so they could program the chip. I can tell you for a fact that it shuts off shortly after it is started if the chip is not programmed correctly. The saleman told me the blank cost the dealer $280.00 Not sure what they would charge is they had to program it for you. kfbagt I would think the dealer owes you a second blank.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Creek said:
Let us know if it worked. When I bought my JC the dealer could only find one key. The dealer bought a blank and had the key cut. I had to take the car in so they could program the chip. I can tell you for a fact that it shuts off shortly after it is started if the chip is not programmed correctly. The saleman told me the blank cost the dealer $280.00 Not sure what they would charge is they had to program it for you. kfbagt I would think the dealer owes you a second blank.
I bought my jeep from a Ford dealer. Somebody traded the Commander in on a new ford F250. He must have got raped on the deal because I practically stole the Commander. They promised me that both keys were with it but when I picked it up they only had 1. They told me they would get me a blank. To be nice I offered to buy the one off of ebay and let them reimburse me, which they did. They were very good about everything and I was trying to help them out. The Jeep dealer said it was $30 to have it cut and programmed. I am sure it will work, they said they have done this for other customers in the past with no problems. i will post a follow-up as soon as I get my back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, so just to be on the safe side, I just have to get a spare key and shouldn't worry about getting an aftermarket alarm right? Or is it just better to get one. I am planning to add chrome trims, rear assist handles, don't know about rims, too much for me to spend on plus it's either snowing or raining in IL, so I don't want to put on rims for only a few months.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Commander24 said:
Great, so just to be on the safe side, I just have to get a spare key and shouldn't worry about getting an aftermarket alarm right? Or is it just better to get one. I am planning to add chrome trims, rear assist handles, don't know about rims, too much for me to spend on plus it's either snowing or raining in IL, so I don't want to put on rims for only a few months.
The right key may keep it from being driven away but 90% of all auto break ins are thefet of interior contents, not theft of the entire vehicle. A key is not going to keep your vehicle from getting broken into.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, very true, I guess I'm just going to get the remote start then, I don't have anything in the car for anyone to really take anyways, just going to keep it the way it is other than just accessories that bolts on to the exterior of the car like chrome grill, nerf bar. Love the way it is, even if it's just stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts