Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 Hemi QD2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I bought an 06 Limited 4x4 5.7 Hemi Commander with 215k (paid $4500 for reference, it’s got a few issues). Needs valve cover gaskets, front struts, driver rear window regulator, radio, A/C Recharge (hopefully) and some body work on the passenger rear door. Along with a good deep clean. It’s got tons of maintenance records. One owner from 39k to 200k, when he sold it to his brother. They’ve had it the last two years.

It looks like the dealership did something to reprogram a key around 160k miles. They gave me two keys, one new, one OLD (not the fobiks, but the ones with the key and keyless buttons all in one) and a keyless entry fob. Both keys work fine, but the keyless entry does not. I tried changing the batteries and checked the fuses and that doesn’t seem to be the issue.

I’ve seen lots of post about how to program a new key, but nothing specifically about the keyless (unless I’m grossly misunderstanding the process). Anyone have any suggestions on what to do next?

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 Hemi QD2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the solution to my problem on a different forum here. Pro tip to other fellow members, our cars share a ton of DNA with the WK (not news to anyone, but just a reminder. Oddly enough, this also made my dead nav unit light up. Screen is still dead, and no sound through the stereo, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Here is what worked:

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

·
Administrator
16,031 Posts
@jpeaslee Sorry that no one here could help you, but glad you found the fix. Thanks for posting the info as it is sure to help someone in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts