Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Going to killeen, tx this weekend. Anyone down in that area get with me. I havent been able to play with the xk yet, and would love to hit a mud hole if anyone knows of any down there!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey guys! Going to killeen, tx this weekend. Anyone down in that area get with me. I havent been able to play with the xk yet, and would love to hit a mud hole if anyone knows of any down there!
What's there to see? My parents are still retired there... we're actually visiting Austin tomorrow (possibly Killeen, not sure yet)... for my niece's birthday. Although, I'm sure we're not taking the XK out there for the drive... taking my car instead. It's been raining down here in the south for quite some time. You may be lucky to test out the XK on some muddy trails. I believe they're common on post. I'm sure if you bump across some military soldiers, they can best suggest a place.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my parents are retired there as well. Have about 12 acres, but mostly trees, and atv size trails on his property. Plus with the cactus rampant on his property, i dont even want to risk it. I will have to hang around the base and see if i can coax a spot out of some guys.

Its been raining in dallas for last few days too...just cant seem to get anybody from dfw to pipe up on anything...oh well.

Enjoy austin, and happy birthday to the niece!

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's been raining in Austin most of the week too, temps in the mid 40's. Supposed to start clearing this weekend, temps 50's to low 60's. There is an off-road park (Boulder Creek Trail Park) near Marble Falls, Texas. Might be further than you want to drive tho. I haven't been there, but one of my neighbors has been there several times and said they have good trails.

John

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's been raining in Austin most of the week too, temps in the mid 40's. Supposed to start clearing this weekend, temps 50's to low 60's. There is an off-road park (Boulder Creek Trail Park) near Marble Falls, Texas. Might be further than you want to drive tho. I haven't been there, but one of my neighbors has been there several times and said they have good trails.

John
The best I've done w/ 'off roading' w/ my 2WD XK, is taking it out on some dirt roads nearby Horseshoe Bay. We also took some site seeing and drove on some gravel roads to some winery.

Another reason we're taking my car is for one, better gas mileage, and w/ this rain, better tires (I'm still tryin to browse around for some new tires; Houston area is just not as cheap compared to Austin's). I would of thought the Forteras would of lasted longer.... but not at near 32K miles already :( and treadwear markers bout to be even w/ the rest of the tread.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got uneven wear on all my fortera's. One (fr rt) is almost shot, fr lft is about 40%, rr rt is 50%, and the rr lft is 60%. Don't know what the deal is there. Oh yeah, only 32k on these. Maybe one or two replaced from punctures or something. I do not, repeat do not ever buy goodyear, for that reason. Wear too quickly. My tire of choice is a michellin, but cost is way to high for those. I like bfg, only because they tend to have aggressive tread and decently long life.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've got uneven wear on all my fortera's. One (fr rt) is almost shot, fr lft is about 40%, rr rt is 50%, and the rr lft is 60%. Don't know what the deal is there. Oh yeah, only 32k on these. Maybe one or two replaced from punctures or something. I do not, repeat do not ever buy goodyear, for that reason. Wear too quickly. My tire of choice is a michellin, but cost is way to high for those. I like bfg, only because they tend to have aggressive tread and decently long life.
I'm actually considering getting these Kuhmo APT KL51s. Our XK is mostly on highways afterall. I prefer price and longevity. I have a hookup @ Discount Tires, who's offering each of them for about $108. I agree, BFGoodrich's tend to have a rough and aggressive look/feel. Comfort is another thing I look for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts