Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many threads on this forum about people who have hit the key with their knee while driving and shut the Commander down. Usually on a high-speed road with interesting side effects.

I have not done this.

:shrug03:YET!:shrug03:

For those that have, I'm still slightly confused as to the mechanics of the deed. Are you actually knocking the key itself out of the 'run position? Or are you hitting one of the buttons on the key?

I seem to recall somebody saying "always put the key ring part of the key UP", so that is what I do. No shutdowns yet...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Just go sit in the driveway and try it, I have done it when I tried to but never when in motion, my knees are normally no where near the key. You would need real long legs or have the seat real close to hit the key IMO.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
I have tried on purpose to do it and cannot get it to do it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i'm only 5' 7" and i've done this. thank GOD it wasn't while driving. just in my driveway.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've hit my key Fob before... I have one that is seperate from the key itself... but the most I have ever done is lock or unlock the doors.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
When I first got my XK I did it several times while driving. I'm 6 foot tall and because I have lower back pain I sometimes like to move the seat up close which for some reason eases it. What was happening, was I would move my knee to the right, bump the bottom of the key which would turn the key counter-clockwise and it of course would turn the engine off at that point. I just turned the key back to ON and everything was fine, but it was a bit unnerving.

So I found a happy medium for the seat position and always put the key in with the key ring nub up and don't put other keys on the same ring. I keep all my other keys on a separate ring.

Anyway, I have not done it since making those changes. In my opinion, Chrysler should tweak the position of the ignition switch.

Edit: I have the 07 Limited Hemi w/ QDII

·
Registered
953 Posts
I read somewhere that this was more of a problem with the new keys starting with the '08 models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts