Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally, I'm not a big fan of mods that are strictly aesthetic, BUT I'm getting a hankering for a KITT (Trans-Am from Knight Rider - or Mustang in the new one) -esque scanner for the front of the XK. Maybe something like this... (just watch the scanning lights... you'll get the idea).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXK87ndBkjw

... only in the grill of my XK.

Any ideas about how to go about it?

·
Registered
577 Posts
That would be sooooooooo awesome!
I am giving up on a winch mount and putting that on the front instead :p
-Hemi

P.S. - I also want the horn from the General Lee !

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a crappy Gimp-shop of the idea... anyone with better skill wanna give it a shot?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Also illegal in 50 states

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soooo, I should go with ... green lights instead?

·
Registered
283 Posts
PolarBZ said:
Soooo, I should go with ... green lights instead?
Not unless you want to lead the parade. In most states green lights are supposed to identify the Incident Commander.

(But waay back in the dark ages when I was a volunteer in New York I had a half-blue, half-green rotator on my truck. Fire responses got blue, EMS got green.)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
Also illegal in 50 states
Isn't it really only "illegal" if you're vehicle is in motion on a public road? If you're in a parking lot or something, and flick on the 'scanner', I don't see why that would be illegal.

(Pardon my ignorance if it's illegal regardless, but I always thought this was the case with any type of auxiliary light on a vehicle.)

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Put it between the towhooks.

But, how does this compare to Hemi commanders idea for a push button starter? And it is illegal.

But I do think it would be cool looking....you could use them offroad and really scare the crap out of anyone you came up on at night!

Growing up in Indiana, they used all red on police, fire and ambulance.
Doctors could use green flashing lights and blue lights were used by volunteer firemen. There were no red and blue combo lights. It was really strange the first time I left Indiana!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never seen green lights before...

·
Registered
283 Posts
PolarBZ said:
I've never seen green lights before...
I think it was a New York thing. Out here in California fire uses all red, police red and blue.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
sciron4x4 said:
Isn't it really only "illegal" if you're vehicle is in motion on a public road? If you're in a parking lot or something, and flick on the 'scanner', I don't see why that would be illegal.
You are absolutly correct, most traffic laws only apply to vehicles operated on the public roadway. What you do in most parking lots and on private property is excluded.

in AZ you can be cited for DUI, reckless driving and handicap/fire zone parking violations. You will see alot of show vehicles with floresences and other light options off the roadway.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soooo, its ok to go "testing" handling characteristics in empty parking lots?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Seems kinda pointless doesn't it? Fun yes, functional, no.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
PolarBZ said:
Soooo, its ok to go "testing" handling characteristics in empty parking lots?
Unless the officer considers it reckless driving. Which most would.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
andyblaze said:
Seems kinda pointless doesn't it? Fun yes, functional, no.
Absolutely pointless - except to be fun. Like throwing on extra badging or ground effects - functionally pointless, but fun. Which is why I caveated it with how non-functional it would be.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
YB Normyl said:
Here they use mostly red with a little blue for Police, Fire and EMS. Blue for slow moving vehicles, mostly snow removal and green for Volunteer Fire/Emergency Response. White/clear on roof for school bus, so purple would probably be safe here. It would be cool to light up the edge of the seven slots.
Yellow would always be a safe bet.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a49erFootballFan said:
Unless the officer considers it reckless driving. Which most would.
Wouldn't "reckless" imply that there was someone else around to hurt? I'm not up on all my traffic laws...

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Well, we have to consider the endangerment of the "reckless" or "wreckless" driver, potential property damage to things like light poles or perhaps parked cars. Or someone coming by to watch the Commander spinning out.....But I think you were testing the handling techniques of the scanning lights, correct?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts