Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed my laptop into the commander. I had a Jotto Desk sitting in the closet for years. They did not offer a mount for our application, so I had a machine shop make a simple bracket. The whole thing can be removed quickly. There is plenty of room for the passenger, it appears to be low enough to be out of the airbag zone. I obviously will not leave my laptop like this for security reasons, snatch and grab would ruin my day. My main use will be as a GPS. I have Delorme Sreet Atlas 2009 (open in 2nd picture). I have an inverter under the passenger seat (in picture 3). What do you guys think about this set up?

Couple of things I don't like-wires seem to be going everywhere. I was thinking I could run the antenna wire through the defrost duct on the dash. That doesn't seem possible. With hot and cold blowing on it might not be a good idea anyways. I removed the glovebox and looked around. I couldn't really see any access to the dash surface. Anyone have any ideas, it would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are worried about wires, look into buying a GPS receiver that has bluetooth built into it. I have one and it works well (i tried something along the same setup that you have). It runs off of a rechargeable battery so there are no wires. I bought the GPS Receiver off FeeBay. Let me know if you have any questions.

John

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Is that desk holding the laptop down somehow? I'd be worried about some serious bumps or an emergency stop sending the laptop flying and interfering with control of the vehicle. Otherwise looks good. Made me think about using a little netbook I've got for the same thing...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a spring loaded wire you can see in the second photo, that wraps over the keyboard. There is supposed to be two. One broke, I'm working on a replacement. The one holds it pretty good for around town.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I had one of these made for my patrol car years ago that has been sitting in the garage, you have encouraged me to have it modified and mount it in the Commander.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I began my interest in the laptop application when I used to do wildlife research for Univ. of FL and we used Laptops for marking site locations and so on.
Later I worked as a deputy for 6years in FLA, moved to Ga this year forced me into a job change since I wasn't certified in Ga. Anyways that's my lead into the fact :when my dept. went from crown vics to impala's they sold off the old cars. They removed alot of stuff that then got thrown away. I asked if I could have it, and that's that. So. I also had one sitting around and put it to use! If you need the bracket measurement I can help you out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's a great idea for trails or gps in general - that is if you dont have a unit to work with. My buddy mounted a wireless hub in his scion and we started screwing with it one day and the recpetion was tremendous. I"m thinking of grabbing one of the ASUS 8 inch laptops and doing the same as you did. I"m trying to think if theres a way to conserve on space with the mounting harness or bracket. Seeing as you had to place it on the passengers side. I"ll try to grab a pic of his setup, he made a custom mount for it and its all wireless as well. I'll post those up once I can get the pcis

·
Registered
87 Posts
The ultimate Laptop for This application is the Panasonic CF-19. Small, Rugged, works as a tablet/Touchscreen, etc. Anyone has any Laptop Questions, I would be glad to help! I specialize in Toughbooks.....(not sales)

I had a laptop mounted in my XJ a while back and liked it. The Topo Maps were awesome for trail use! Wish my wife would let me do this in our XK, but we have factory NAV......Thumbs up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im using the Onyx mount myself.

Heyfellaz. I'm using the Onyx laptop mount in my Jeep and it's the best bang for your buck. This thing is universal and fully adjustable, quite durable and can be transferred between vehicles. www.dura-mounts.com look at the Onyx mounts on there. Hope this helps.

Jeepin Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Heyfellaz. I'm using the Onyx laptop mount in my Jeep and it's the best bang for your buck. This thing is universal and fully adjustable, quite durable and can be transferred between vehicles. www.dura-mounts.com look at the Onyx mounts on there. Hope this helps.

Jeepin Jeff
Sounds like this mount works great for you, you should be a spokesperson for the company! LOL

down2far, Nice work on the laptop setup. It looks like it fits perfectly and you could even have someone in the copilot's seat use the laptop too. Do you have any trouble reaching the radio buttons or climate control with the mount there?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It makes it a little tight switching from park into drive. It swings far to the right so It can be moved easily If needed. I rode passenger and it was perfect for that. The program is a little more hands on than what I would like. I think this would have to be for a copilot navigator. I think a mobile GPS unit (NUVI etc.) would be better. If you want to watch dvd's or type it would be good. I've removed it and probably won't use anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally installed my laptop into the commander. I had a Jotto Desk sitting in the closet for years. They did not offer a mount for our application, so I had a machine shop make a simple bracket. The whole tablet pc can be removed quickly. There is plenty of room for the passenger, it appears to be low enough to be out of the airbag zone. I obviously will not leave my laptop like this for security reasons, snatch and grab would ruin my day. My main use will be as a GPS. I have Delorme Sreet Atlas 2009 (open in 2nd picture). I have an inverter under the passenger seat (in picture 3). What do you guys think about this set up?

Couple of things I don't like-wires seem to be going everywhere. I was thinking I could run the antenna wire through the defrost duct on the dash. That doesn't seem possible. With hot and cold blowing on it might not be a good idea anyways. I removed the glovebox and looked around. I couldn't really see any access to the dash surface. Anyone have any ideas, it would be appreciated.
I have never such laptop mount install. how you did that? I would love to do it same

·
Registered
532 Posts
I suggest too a wireless GPS unit so is one cable less. But is just for GPS navigation?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts