Jeep Commander Forum banner

Which products would you be seriously interested in most?

• Larger Fender Flares

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Aftermarket Hood with integrated cowl or scoop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Euro Style Front Clear Corner lights

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends in the Jeep Commander Community..

I know that many of you guys have been looking for Jeep Commander Fender Flares that will cover larger tires and allow better functionality. I am in the process of creating wider and larger fender flares for the Jeep Commander. I need your Ideas in creating them and once I have a mock up prototype, I would like to know who is seriously interested in them so that I can begin manufacturing them.

I would like to create a look that does not stray far from the original riveted on-looking fender flares that come with the jeep commander limited.

Can anyone else give me their 2 cents on the situation. Please feel free to post any questions that you like and any ideas that you would like me to include on the design..

So I have the following questions.

Who would be SERIOUSLY interested in Fender Flares for the Jeep Commander to incorporate larger tires at a target retail price of $600-$700 dollars?

Would anyone be interested in an after market hood for the jeep commander?

And also last but not least who would be interested in the euro style clear corner lights that are available overseas?

I have long searched for some of these answers and could not find any for my personal vehicle so I am taking the effort in actually manufacturing them. I have manufactured car parts before and I feel if there is a need to do it, I will be more then happy to produce these items.

Post your questions answers in this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im interested in the fender flares. It appears the bushwacker thread has died and I doubt bushwacker is going to design flares for 7 members.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
07JeepXK

Yeah 7 members seems too little to mass produce something but fortunately, I can probably do something for as little a 25 members. I want to make it worthwhile at least. I can make a one off just for my vehicle that would look good as well as function well but the cost would be just too great. What matters however is, they can be done.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im not sure you would get 25 members interested in the flares. Thats the only problem. I honestly thought about making some of my own also and then painting the entire XK OD Green. Haha we will see though. But until I can get my hands on some flares I plan on trimming the stock ones.

What materials would you be using to make the flares and how would you go abouts starting something like that. Fiberglass???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would prototype them as a fiberglass mold but eventually they would be made from polyurethane or another flexible agent. If there are roughly 10 serious people I could probably make several fiberglass ones at a decent price. The main problem that I found out with my Xk is that its not the flares that are the problem its that actual wheel well.

Anyone interested in the clear corners? Man I really want those but cost from a dealer overseas is too damn much. Anyone in Australia or the UK that can pull some off a wrecked Xk for me? I would pay them good money..

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I would have an interest in larger fender flares. I do catch the rear ones from time to time and pop the plastic clips out.

As for the hood scoop, I think I'm good on that one:

·
Registered
809 Posts
That's going to look so good then it's all put together.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
phunkeydude, i love the hood man I saw it the other day when I was looking for stuff on the forums.

And the flares, that is exactly what I want to do something similar to the AEV ones, maybe even a little smaller - problem is you still need to cut out the wheel wells and make some room there. My goal although it may take a while, is to get 36" tires on this thing.

Would you mind if they were fiberglass? or do they have to be polyurethane? Maybe even mold them in a type of plastic? I am meeting with my friend monday to break down costs for materials and molding.. I hope it is somewhat feasible.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
It doesn't matter to me what they are made of as long as the fit and finish are good and they are functional. Cutting the fender/wheel well to accomodate large fender flares is not a big deal to me...but heck, I have made a variety of changes already that I am keeping this ride till cars fly.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
What ever they are made of needs to be able to be repaired fairly easy and cheaply as you know they will get damaged and if replacements are not readily available then repair is our only option.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I bet you would have a decent market for Startech-style bumpers/skirts too. I would be in for that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kansas, I appreciate that input, I was considering doing something like that for the crowd that is into that look, but what do you think the split in the market share is compared to the offroad crowd?
Do you think its like the H2 where it is basically 50/50? or do you think that more people by the commander for the offroad or street look? Also if I could create a look similar to the startech but out of fiberglass do you think that would still be ok or it is a must that they are built out of polyurethane?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
what do you think the split in the market share is compared to the offroad crowd?
Based solely on observation of the Commanders I see driving around town I would guess that 80% never go off road. I might be a little high but if I were a betting man I would have no problem with betting that less than 40% of the Commander owners take them off road like the members of this forum do.

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
Based solely on observation of the Commanders I see driving around town I would guess that 80% never go off road. I might be a little high but if I were a betting man I would have no problem with betting that less than 40% of the Commander owners take them off road like the members of this forum do.
I would go even higher than 80%. I think the Commander is just viewed by the majority of people as an vehicle for off-road use like the Wrangler is.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I would go even higher than 80%. I think the Commander is just viewed by the majority of people as an vehicle for off-road use like the Wrangler is.
Did you mean on road use?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did you mean on road use?
No, I think he did mean off road use.

BTW I could care less what the flares are made out of as long as I can fit larger tires.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The only input I have concerns painting the flares. Some plastics/urethanes can be a bear to get paint to stick to. The paint system we use at work is very good at this. I would guarantee the paint to stick to any oem bumper cover. With that said, I cant get paint to stick to the plastic race car body panels. It just flies off. GM even labels some of their plastic parts like flares and lower mouldings as an " unpaintable part " for this very reason. Now this won't matter if you want to keep the flares black, but consider those that want to paint them to match the body. Fiberglass works well but it also breaks up when hit. Maybe you already have some experiance with this. Just my .02

·
Registered
809 Posts
You can put one notch on the post for me never going off-road, and another (on a different post, perhaps) for not caring what the bumpers are made of.
I do wonder if there's any correlation between engine size/2wd/4wd ownership and off-road intentions, with the largest percentage being 3.7l soccer moms.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I only know of one other Commander that has been modified for off road activities in the ABQ area. All the other XKs I pass on the road here are stock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts