Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WKJEEPS has a list of changes / additions to both the WK and XK (info on the same page for Wrangler, etc. has not yet been updated). Included in the XK list is: Fuel tank size increased from 20.5 to 21.1, power liftgate, ParkView rear camera system option, and several new colors (Deep Beryl Green will be discontinued).

The same page lists the Bluetec WK as a go, so we can only hope that a Bluetec XK will follow within a year.

·
Registered
274 Posts
20.5 to 21.1, WOW what an increase. What a waste of time. DC ought to put the spare tire on the tail gate and put the tank where it suppose to go! Or, put another side tank on the right side. Well, at least they are trying!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with Mango~Ridge... A 0.6 gallon increase is nothing in our mpg world. That is about 7 to 8 miles extra. A larger gas tank would be nice but 0.6, come on Jeep it is harldy worth the effort!

·
Registered
274 Posts
They have to have reasons for the higher sticker price:D Now there is another fuel tank for the dealer to stock, I know....... they probably don't stock tanks.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey 8 miles might just get you to the next exit down the road! I won't complain.

Jeep can not put a bigger fuel tank in the Commander without making the Commander bigger. It can not go where the spare is located due to new rear-impact regulations surrounding fuel tanks (hence why the new Wrangler has a side saddle fuel tank and a muffler in the rear).

If you make the Commander bigger it looses it's off road performance and its larger size would just negate any larger tank. The only way you are going to get further runs on a tank of gas is with a diesel or hybrid engine. As I mentioned, the site lists the Bluetec WK is a go for 2007, so the Bluetec XK just may follow in 2008.

·
Registered
274 Posts
regulations smegulations..........hee hee hee:D I like my tank, by the time I run a tank of gas out, it's time to take a brake anyways.:cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Six tenths of a gallon is probably just a longer filler neck tube. Power liftgate (if it power closes) and rear camera would be nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, anyone wonder why Mikey hasn't chimed in with his lamentations on the size of the fuel tank? I miss Mikey.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other addition for 2007 is supposed to be the single tap lane change (tap once, turn indicator blinks 3 times) which is already present in export versions of the Commander.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey can n e one tell me if our 2006 JC will be able to have the camera installed on them? boy i sure hope so!!!!!! the sensor is cool but the camera would be awesome!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys, can n e one tell me if our 2006 JC will be able to have the camera installed? the sensor is great but the camera would be awesome

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can have a seperate screen installed for the back up camera.

You can integrate it in to the navigation system only if it was produced in the last few weeks. According to WKJEEPS.COM / XKJEEPS.COM the REC navigation system has been updated to accept the backup camera video.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey, LLLARENO, I'm here alright. Proposed Gas Tank increase is a joke. With my 11.9 mph it should be at very least 25 gallons or 27. But all of this is wishful thinking and will not happen. This car should have not been produced if a properly sized gas tank could not be fitted. In a meantime, I'll keep on pumping every 200 miles or so. And so do you, ladies and gentlemen! But for those who does not know about it, it's a great looking and very functional as well as troulbe-free vehicle. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey Mikey,

If you run it down all the way, you would get a range of 243.95 miles (20.5 x 11.9 = 243.95). Of course, no one can run the tank all the way dry, but you might be able to safely fill at 220 miles. That'll save you an extra stop at the gas station every 10 times or so. Hopefully you are seeing a slight increase in gas mileage now that your engine is probably broken in. Check those tire pressures too. I need to recalibrate my speedometer/odometer since I went up in tire size.

I'd take an extra 0.6 gallons, it all helps. Too big a tank adds some weight too for off roading, gas itself is fairly hefty. But I agree, it would have been great to have a 23 gallon tank.

I wonder what the range of our competitors is, like the LR3 and the 4Runner. Our Cayenne has a 26.4 gallon capacity, which is nice. I have a jerry can for the Commander for when I go on extended off road trips.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2007 Jeep Commander: 21.10 Gallons Regular / 5047lbs.
2006 Toyota 4 Runner: 23.00 Gallons Regular / 4530lbs.
2006 Nissan Pathfinder: 21.10 Gallons Regular / 4771lbs
2006 Land Rover LR3: 22.80 Gallons Premium / 5426lbs.

In short, to keep the vehicle manageable in size off-road, and to retain a solid rear axle you aren't going to get a 25 or 27 gallon tank (the Cayenne and Toureg gain space for fuel by losing the solid rear axle). It is NOT realistic.

What would be more realistic would be DCX swapping the engine options for a Blutec/hydraulic hybrid or E85/hydraulic hybrid. Then you gain the mileage and performance without needing the bigger tank!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Out of curiosity, what size tank does the GC have?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The WK has the same size fuel tank as the XK. It also will be getting the slightly larger fuel tank for 2007.

·
Registered
401 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
The WK has the same size fuel tank as the XK. It also will be getting the slightly larger fuel tank for 2007.
Lots of GCs on the road. Do they b*tch as much as we do about this? If they did, then I would think DC would have done more to increase the size of the tank.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't heard to many complaints from WK owners. Even if they did, as I stated before there isn't much DCX can do to put a bigger tank in a mid-sized SUV without losing that beloved solid rear axle. If they do that they will hear a LOT more complaining about an independant rear suspension than whatever they hear now about fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.