Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after seeing some posts it seems that even with the RR lift you cannot get much bigger rubber under the commander with STOCK wheels. I was wondering what could be done with spacers and the RR lift to put some bigger tires on with the stock wheels. I am only in a 27 month lease, so I really do not want to buy rims and I have nowhere to store the stock ones, so I could use some help with trying to put on some bigger tires bc the stock ones look ridiculous. I was thinking that the use of some relatively good size spacers may work?
BK

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think with the stock wheels and no lift you can put 265/70 R17 on depending on which tire you go with. The only vehicle I have seen, in pictures, is Jangy's. He is a member on this forum. Check the following:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62

With the RR lift you could use a 1.5" spacer and the stock rims to get the 265/70's on and still probably keep the tires almost inside the fender wells.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the 2.25 Rocky Road lift is being installed right now on my Commander. I have 17" wheels with zero offset waiting to go on. When the lift is done, I'm going to the tire store to put the biggest tires on that will fit. I'm hoping to get larger than the 265/70/17. We will see.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am still waiting on my RR 2.25 inch lift. I think it may be delayed since I ordered the shocks with it.

Are spacers readily available at most tire/wheel shops? I'd like to keep the stock wheels for now, and fit larger tires. Hopefully spacers will do the job. Do they weaken the set up considerably? Or are they used fairly often for off road vehicles?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Again, I'm no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

I have been told that positive offset will put the wheel further under the fenders. This will put the tire closer to the shocks ect. 0 or negative offset will bring the wheel furter toward the outside of the fender.

Sycohemi,
I think spacers are used alot to allow larger tires to be run. You should be able to get them from shops that deal with 4WD vehicles alot.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks ChipW - that is the basic info that I was looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sycohemi, I look forward to what you discover with the lift and spacers with stock wheels since that will be exactly what I will be trying to do! I hope that with spacers you can put some good size tires on!

·
Registered
396 Posts
My lift kit has just shipped. I told them to go ahead and ship it without the DT8000 shocks, and I will install those later - that's what was holding up my order.

·
Registered
38 Posts
SycoHemi,

I am looking to do the same lift kit as you and so many others on this forum; 2.25"RR lift, 265/70/17's, and wheel spacers because I want to keep the existing wrench stock rims. Obivously you know about the steering knuckle concern on the Commander. How are your 1.25" wheel spacers doing for you? I am hesitant in putting on wheel spacers. Why did you chosse 1.25" spacers?

What about your spare tire at 265/70/17. Does it fit up under the rear of the vehicle still? I have a tow package. Do you and does the tire still fit up under there?

Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is anyone experiencing any problems with their ESP/TCS compters in their Commanders after puting a RR2.25" lift, 265/70/17 tires, and wheels spacers? I spoke with my delaership and they said they would recalibrate the computer after the lift, tires, and spacers but said they have not seen any Commanders with this done on them yet.

Anyone?

Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
One last question. Sorry about the multiple posts. If I choose to do wheel spacers, should I choose lug centric of hub centric spacers on the Commander?:confused:

Scott

·
Registered
396 Posts
I choose 1.25 inch wheel adapters since we felt that was the minimum space that would be needed. Note that the adapters actually bolt to the hub, and then separate bolts are used for the wheel. These are not just "spacers" in the traditional sense.

I had the local dealer reprogram the computer for the tire size that was as close as possible to the new tire size, but my new tire size was not available as a re-program selection according to my service advisor.

Under mildly aggressive cornering in a half circle, I will occasionally notice dsc actuation, which is slightly annoying. Even with the reprogram, which I hoped would eliminate this.

·
Registered
396 Posts
DT8000 shocks did arrive and were installed with kit at original installation. I like the ride. Slightly stiffer, but by no means bad.

I did not change my spare tire, so I have no idea if the larger tire mounted on a factory wheel, will fit in the space allocated for the spare.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you! I am all new to this. This is my first Jeep and I am extremely interested in tinkering with it. I am and engineer by trade and by heart so this is the beginning of a wonderful relationship between me and my Commander.

I understand the spacer and adapter difference and mis-wrote it (thank you for the correction for others who may view it:) ).

I am going to check into the spare tire tonight and see if a 265/70/17 will fit up under there. Will take some photos and re-post tomorrow.

What is DSC?

·
Registered
396 Posts
DSC - I was referring to the Dynamic Stability Control (anti-rollover technology). Not sure exactly what they call it.

Here's my ride:

·
Registered
38 Posts
SH,

KILLER LOOKING RIDE! I still like the stock rims on the truck but am very worried about putting wheel adpters on the truck. I see you have 1.25" adapters. Who makes the adapters? I was looking at the ezaccessory.com adapters. I had my freinds at Tire Pros do a check on the tire size you have yesterday (265/70/17) and they say that the 1.25" adapters just clear the tire. I am wondering if you would take a photo of the distance of the tire on your truck from the steering knuckle assembly similar to the one I am providing that is stock. I am wondering if I should get 1.50" wheel adapters to be on the safe side, but am still concerned about putting wheel adpters on. If you could send me a photo, this may seal the deal on my decision. Thanks sycohemi!

By the way, I measured the spare tire spacing under the rear end of the vehicle last night. It will not fit a 265/70/17 tire :mad:

Scott Auto part Pipe Tire Brake Suspension

1 - 20 of 34 Posts