Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the largest tire I can fit in factory spare tire location? I am upgrading too 255/75/17 soon and it doesn't look like there is much room under vehicle in factory location.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What is the largest tire I can fit in factory spare tire location? I am upgrading too 255/75/17 soon and it doesn't look like there is much room under vehicle in factory location.
I have 255/70r18's. Same exact sized tire.

My spare fits no problem, but I don't have a hitch, which makes a big difference.

Here is how ya do it with a spare

It was time to figure out the spare tire situation. Until now I had been keeping it in the cargo area. This works but gets annoying since it takes up so much space. On my XJ I had tried strapping my spare to the roof in a basket, and though that got it out of the back I didn't like the extra top weight and increased body role it produced. This time I wasn't going to do the same. I knew I didn't want my spare up there. I know a 32" is lighter than a 35", but I didn't want to increase top weight any more than I needed to. I thought about getting the Saguaro rear bumper and carrier, but for many reasons that wasn't going to happen. All that was left was the stock tire location. So I removed the bumper to see what I was dealing with.

(You can also see my reso in that one)

Since I had the factory hitch I knew that was going to be the big problem.

For now I decided to pull the hitch out and try to get my fully inflated 255/75/17 up in there. Until now all I had seen was a couple of guys fit their 265/70/17 up in there. Knowing that the 255 was only slightly taller than the 265 I figured I could make it work.

I had some plans to modify the hitch, but I didn't have time to do it then.

And in went my inflated spare. This was and still is a brand new Rubi BFG M/T.

I had enough clearance at the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
had to break up the post. too many pics:

And with it pushed all the way to the rear It could hug the rear crossmember with some room to spare against the track bar.

At this time I had also scored a brand new 4xGuard rear guard Gen 2 off eBay for $120! Some guy was selling it and didn't know what he had. He listed it as a front skid for a Commander. I sent him a message telling him what he actually had along with an offer. A few minutes later I received a message back from him that said SOLD!!!

Eventually I got around to modifying the hitch and reinstalling it. I cut off the nuts that were tacked onto the back side and trimmed the hitch flush with the welds. Then I got carriage bolts and passed them through from the inside out. This way the hitch was as smooth and low profile as possible.

With this set up I could have left the spare fully inflated and it would have rubbed the track bar slightly, but I decided to deflate it and get a compressor in case I have to use the spare. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts