Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed a RC 2" spacer lift and the LCA bushings that the yolk attaches to seem shot as well as the bolt completely rusted to the inner sleeve. I'm wondering if those bushings are replaceable or the entire LCA has to be replaced. I'm finding this lower bolt rusted to the inner sleeve a common issue here in the salt belt.

Hard sudden bumps like manhole covers will cause a slight metallic sound from the front end and it's only one wheel at a time. I just replaced the front SB bushings as well with no change.

Any tips on tracing this down or is it typical of the XK to sound this way?

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Recently installed a RC 2" spacer lift and the LCA bushings that the yolk attaches to seem shot as well as the bolt completely rusted to the inner sleeve. I'm wondering if those bushings are replaceable or the entire LCA has to be replaced. I'm finding this lower bolt rusted to the inner sleeve a common issue here in the salt belt.

Hard sudden bumps like manhole covers will cause a slight metallic sound from the front end and it's only one wheel at a time. I just replaced the front SB bushings as well with no change.

Any tips on tracing this down or is it typical of the XK to sound this way?
Check the upper front differential bushing.

This is a common point of wear on both Grand Cherokees & Commanders alike.

It will make that kind of a noise when it's worn and in need of replacement.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the upper front differential bushing.

This is a common point of wear on both Grand Cherokees & Commanders alike.

It will make that kind of a noise when it's worn and in need of replacement.
Thanks, I'll inspect them.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That's the one I'm talking about, thanks for the link. What's the best tool to remove and then replace these? Arbor press?
likely a press. Some people torch them out. The real issue is the clevis bolt becomes fused in there and needs to be cut out in the salt belt. As you can see there the center of the bushing has a slit in it which allows rust to occur inside of the bushing. stupid design.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
likely a press. Some people torch them out. The real issue is the clevis bolt becomes fused in there and needs to be cut out in the salt belt. As you can see there the center of the bushing has a slit in it which allows rust to occur inside of the bushing. stupid design.
Yeah, I'm wondering how I could manage a press, that's an oddly shaped part. I'll just use a my cutting torch then and a BFH. I suppose I could try a bearing/seal puller.

The passenger bolt is definitely fused to the sleeve, the driver side I could get out.

I'll definitely have a shop do the diff bushings, no way I'm doing that on jack stands.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yeah, I'm wondering how I could manage a press, that's an oddly shaped part. I'll just use a my cutting torch then and a BFH.

The passenger bolt is definitely fused to the sleeve, the driver side i could get out.
ball joint press would fit in there.

Make sure to hit it with some rust preventative when reassembling!

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can replace the bushings, but it is easier and likely the same or similar cost to replace the whole LCA. I did mine a few weeks ago... they were about $125 each from Amazon for Moog parts. JBA sells individual bushings for around $30 each.... by the time you do 3 bushings and a ball joint the price is the same and you have done a lot more work..... It is plenty of work just replacing the LCA, you don't need more.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hit all the bolts with PB Blaster or similar several times before removing and then use a large breaker bar ... mine was 24"... if you don't have one, your sturdiest 1/2 ratchet (or one that's guaranteed forever) with a pipe over it works well... my jack handle works well for this.....

When you get the bolts out, clean them up with a wire wheel and put lots of grease or Vaseline on before assembling if you think you might ever need to do it again.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
You can replace the bushings, but it is easier and likely the same or similar cost to replace the whole LCA. I did mine a few weeks ago... they were about $125 each from Amazon for Moog parts. JBA sells individual bushings for around $30 each.... by the time you do 3 bushings and a ball joint the price is the same and you have done a lot more work..... It is plenty of work just replacing the LCA, you don't need more.
Yeah depending on what your time is worth to you... its pretty reasonable to just purchase the whole LCA. There is what? 4 bushings and a ball joint? assuming 20 per bushing and 40 per ball joint you are breaking even.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts