Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Need your advice, as I've - believe it or not - never bought a used vehicle before. I'm currently driving an '07 XK Sport 4x4 that is due for lease turn-in in late Oct. I was pricing new '09 XKs but even with the employee disc. and May incentives the mo. payment is more than I want to stomach. I started searching used, low-miles and found an '09 Sport 4x2 with the 26S Preferred equip. group pkg with only 2786 miles after four months in service. It looks like it was a (Chrysler) company vehicle, as the CarFax report shows it was titled in MI but serviced in Kokomo, IN - a Chrysler town (well, for now at least...).

Anyway, the dealer is asking $20988 for a truck that stickers new at over 35K. They're also giving me a 3 yr./36K warranty. I'm wondering if I can haggle them down below 20K, or if that is pushing it. Also, any thoughts on switching from a 4x4 to a 4x2 in a northern climate? I don't really do offroad, mostly paved and dirt/gravel - just like the ground clearance and other utility features.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I don't recommend you switch to a 4x2. It is great to have the QDII in Michigan winters and rain too for that matter. Or at least QTII. It's of course up to you, but I would not buy a 4x2 Commander in Michigan. Remember a good deal on a vehicle you don't want is not a good deal.

I though you were going to keep it after lease was up...or maybe that was someone else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GP,

Must have been someone else, besides, I'm told the residual is so high - since the lease payment was so low - that I'd be better off buying a different vehicle than assuming ownership of my '07. This came from the dealership lease turn-in desk.

Not sure about the 4x2 yet, but it does have traction control. The Sport's only have QDI anyway. Silver lining is a slight bit better MPG than the four-wheel drive too. Anyway, I'm wondering if the curb weight of the truck may help tracking in snow when only rear-wheel drive - got to be better than a pickup with an empty bed. Still, weighing the trade-off of losing x4, but gaining all that $$$$ in savings for what called in the GM world "tagging a PEP-vehicle."

I know, sacrilege in a Jeep forum where all "proper" Jeeps should be 4x4's, but the tradeoff may be worth it for how I'm using the truck. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
That's all very understandable. I just thought I'ld share my opinion. I think it would drive better than an empty pickup and it is a good safe family vehicle.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
IF you did it I would tell them 20K and the lifetime power train warranty inc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Sport's only have QDI anyway.
Not true. QDII is an option for the sport (as well as QTII). I think you meant QTI anyway.

If I was turning in a lease and wanting to purchase used, I would get an 06 with an extended warranty. You can get one loaded, from a reputable dealer, for less than the one you are looking at.
There are used Commanders out there with low miles for under $14,000 (and those are 4x4's).

I think the price you quoted is average. But, you can get a new 09 sport, 4x2 for $1,600 more (not the S package though), with a lifetime warranty now backed by the govt.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you lived in the south, I would say no problem with a 4X2 Jeep Commander. In fact, in Florida it's hard to find a 4X4 Jeep Commander at a dealership. But since you live up north, I'd say stick with the 4X4 or you may be sorry. There are a lot of good 4X4 buys out there. Try www.autotrader.com. That's where I found my Commander.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I thought about it some more and decided to hold out for a 4x4. With all the dealership culling coming up, my sales rep is telling me to wait for all that new XK inventory to go to auction and return to the market as "used."

I'll keep my eyes open - I've got a few months yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts