Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post, great site...Sorry for not searching as i have no idea what i am even looking at...Have a leak coming from below the overflow tank, a tube that looks like it goes directly into the top of the wheel well (right side)...the picture below is from a hemi GC but its all i could find online that matches what i am looking at...Commander in question is an 08 4.7 flex fuel 4x4 50k miles...if this seems to be a no brainer i am sorry and am greatful for any direction...Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The tube thats circled in the pic is the front differential breather tube. It attaches to one of the studs of the front strut. Is it leaking at the end of that breather tube?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Have you tried following the tube to its end and see what it connects too?

What does the fluid, that is leaking, appear to be? Water, Coolant, Red Oil, Black/Brown Oil, etc.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow...I feel so much better just knowing what it is called now...I can post actual pictures and a better description tonight (currently at work)...But it does seem to be leaking from the round thing where it connects to a tube heading down in between the wheel well and engine...note: the tube and circle thing are easily moved (not sure if normal)...leaks enough to leave a quarter size "puddle" behind the right tire.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

What does the fluid, that is leaking, appear to be? Water, Coolant, Red Oil, Black/Brown Oil, etc.?
As 07JeepXK said, it is the diff breather tube. So that would mean it connects to the front diff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Going to follow it down tonight...the fluid does seem to be a oily redish color...I am limited in my mechanical ability having only worked on my XJ (which seems less complicated and I always have a haynes/chilton)…I have found with each repair I learn quite a bit...and now I get to start learning about the commander!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
As 07JeepXK said, it is the diff breather tube. So that would mean it connects to the front diff.
I think it would be smart for him to confirm it, by tracing the tube down to its source.

It doesn't sound like he has serviced the front axle anytime recently, and it makes me wonder what would cause oil to come up that breather tube and start to leak.

Could be a bad valve on the end of it, maybe water got into the front axle and now its fluid level is high?

Done any 4 wheeling lately, driving through water, or parked driven at high angles?

Trans fluid is oil with a different additives package and dyed red to make it easier to identify. Trans cooler liners are in that area, look closely, its possible fluid dripped or sprayed from the real leak onto that tube and its fooling you. Trans fluid in good shape is a pretty bright red, it can darken and loose the bright red as it gets older and worn out.

OEM axle fluid is brown/honey in color, but it might appear a bit red, some other axle fluids are red as well, its always possible the axle fluid was changed sometime ealier with a red colored axle fluid.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I think it would be smart for him to confirm it, by tracing the tube down to its source.
He can do that if he wants to but there is really no need as we have told him what it is. Obviously you don't believe us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No real off roading...hasn't been through any water since the
beginning of October (live in PHX and she still looks like a golf ball from the hail), I park on an incline but not too bad…I joked with my wife to see if she hit something as the leak appeared after her driving it

I read alot of those posts about the trans lines thinking that would be it but all those seem to be in really good shape (spotless)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
He can do that if he wants to but there is really no need as we have told him what it is. Obviously you don't believe us.
I believe all of you, but I'm also aware of the limited experience of the poster and just a small picture using another vehicle, no less, as an example leaves a lot that can be lost in translation, better safe than sorry by actually confirming it by going to all the trouble of stooping over and looking underneath the vehicle to trace the line to its source.

gsned said:
No real off roading...hasn't been through any water since the
beginning of October (live in PHX and she still looks like a golf ball from the hail), I park on an incline but not too bad…I joked with my wife to see if she hit something as the leak appeared after her driving it

I read alot of those posts about the trans lines thinking that would be it but all those seem to be in really good shape (spotless)
Unlike other lines, that tube only carries air in and out of the axle to allow it to vent pressure and keep pressure equalize in the axle. NO oil should be coming up out of the tube, BUT its always possible some oil just got burped up out of the tube and its a one time deal.

I'd clean up the leaked fluid, check the fluid level in the axle and just keep an eye on it and see if its happens again. If it happens to often, I'd suspect something is wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with you guys, the initial post was crap, it was truely a shot in the dark as i had no idea what it was...but i feel way better about my "problem"...I'll be able to go home, confirm the problem (or find that it is somehting else) and go from there...good tip on the cleaning...I'll keep posted...Thanks!

P.S. this site is great and i have a sweet storage box sitting where the third row should go because of it!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

It doesn't sound like he has serviced the front axle anytime recently, and it makes me wonder what would cause oil to come up that breather tube and start to leak.

Could be a bad valve on the end of it, maybe water got into the front axle and now its fluid level is high?

Done any 4 wheeling lately, driving through water, or parked driven at high angles?

Trans fluid is oil with a different additives package and dyed red to make it easier to identify. Trans cooler liners are in that area, look closely, its possible fluid dripped or sprayed from the real leak onto that tube and its fooling you. Trans fluid in good shape is a pretty bright red, it can darken and loose the bright red as it gets older and worn out.

OEM axle fluid is brown/honey in color, but it might appear a bit red, some other axle fluids are red as well, its always possible the axle fluid was changed sometime ealier with a red colored axle fluid.
There's no need to confirm what that hose is. The moment I opened this thread and saw the circle in the picture I knew exactly what it was. I'll bet my next paycheck that if you follow it, it goes to the front differential. Unless of course his XK was assembled by one of the guys caught drinking on duty while assembling his jeep....lmao

But just to make sure, reconfirm that tube is where it is actually leaking from. Like stated earlier, the only thing that should be going through that tube is air. However, that doesnt mean that gear oil couldnt find its way up the breather.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
However, that doesnt mean that gear oil couldnt find its way up the breather.
Its always possible it was a rare one-time thing, like going over a bad bump as the axle was venting and splashed up oil was forced out the tube with the air flow.

Just like 99% of the time when you burp, its just gas coming up out of the stomach, but 1% fo the time, you get a little stomach acid and content that comes along with it.

I'd clean up the spilled oil, and keep checking it, if it comes back right away, there is something wrong; it doesn't come back, chalk it up to the 1% rare instance. If there are signs of something being wrong, the first thing to do would be to open the fill port on the front axle and check the fluid level.

If water had worked its way past the seals on the axle and got into the axle, which is bad for lubrication of the axle, but the water would raise the level of the fluid in the axle and that could make fluid flow out of the vent tube. I would think, you would have to submerge the axle in water to get that much water in it, which is something that can happen off-roading.

Another possible, but a total guess in the dark, if axle fluid level was way to low, it might change the splash characteristics in the axle, might let the spinning parts sling a lot more oil around and that could get the oil up the vent tube, as air vented. Total guess, could be 100% wrong.

Perhaps someone with more experience with these axles might recognize something right off, take their word over mine, I'm offering you some "common sense" explanations.

Eitherway, if you want to do more than just keep an eye on it and see if keeps coming back, I'd open the axle fill port and check the fluid level, make sure its NOT to high or too low.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just curious, when was the last time you changed the differential fluid. With 50,000 + miles it should have been done a few times alreay. If it hasnt, id do it as soon as you get a chance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts