Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a carwash or heavy rain, upon braking, my sunroof is leaking from the back side in the center onto the center armrest. After taking a closer look, I'm thinking my sunroof might be missing a piece of weatherstrip at the back. Would someone mind taking a peak at their sunroof and comparing to mine? Otherwise, what would be causing my sunroof to leak? The drains are not clogged.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The only weather strip is on the glass itself. Theres a rain gutter that diverts the water left and right and 4 drains, n,s,e and w that carry water away. Maybe your gutter came off track....it should slide front to rear with the sunroof. Take a close look on each side of the gutter to make sure the wire guides are in place.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The picture is too close to see the seal on the window.

Water will make it past the seal on the sunroof glass, even brand new and in good shape, that is why there is a gutter under the seal with drain tubes at every corner. How do you know your drain tubes are NOT clogged?

I do NOT have a sunroof on my Commander, but I have had sunroofs on other Chrysler vehicles, and in those vehicles the sunroof glass needed adjustment from time to time to remain flushed with the roof surface while closed. If it got out of adjustment far enough, it would contribute to leaking enough water to over flow the gutter and properly working drains. I have no idea if the Commander sunroof is the same or different, but its worth taking a look to see if the top of the seal is flush with the roof surface (i.e. doesn't form a ledge for water to collect in) and if NOT if there are screws hold the glass frame to the rail of the sunroof that can be loosened and retightened to allow adjustment of the glass.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been informed of a recalibration procedure for the sunroof I'm going to try for adjustment, though I didn't notice the sunroof not sitting flush.

Hold vent until full vent, release, and hold vent again for 5 seconds to initiate recalibration routine.

I tested and blew out the sunroof drains with compressed air just last week, but I was only aware of the front two drains It's possible that one of my rear drains are clogged, so I will blow those out and try the recalibration. I may have posted up too soon--it just looked like I was looking at a weatherstrip channel with missing weatherstrip.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yea, I don't know for sure, but seen post after post that there are drain tubes at every corner, there was on the sunroof of my other Chrysler vehicle. If the rears are clogged, that could create the conditions for exactly what you've described.

It can't hurt to do the recalibration process, BUT, I don't think it will help. I'm thinking the recalibration of the door windows, the process just recalibrates the force that the window motor will stop at. i.e. if its too much it presses the window to hard when its fully closed/open and if its too little, the window will stop part way thinking its hit the stops when it hasn't.

Perhaps the sunroof is NOT closing completely, and then the recalibration would probably help. Again, you have too look at it fully closed, the little seal running around the glass should sit flush with the roof surface (meaning the rest of the glass might be raised a bit above the roof surface. (Again, that is the spec for other sunroofs I've owned, take it with a grain of salt if you find a FSM or something that says different).

It can't hurt to clean the tracts and lube them as well, that is what I used to do on my sunroofs on other chrysler vehicles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just looked at mine, and I can't find any drain holes
in the rear. Looks like there's a gutter that funnels the
water to the front two holes??? Do you have to take
the roof off to get to the rear holes?

On a side note I dump a half a bottle of pure bleach down
the holes twice a year let it sit for a few minutes, then flush
them out with water. (about a gallon) It seems to keep them
free and clear.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would assume the rear drain tubes would run down the B pillars and drain into the sub frame like the fronts do.

I ran the re-calibration, but don't expect a difference as it looked fine before. Like the above poster, I don't see any rear drains, unless they are at the back of the track system, in which case I don't see how I could snake them.

The water seems to be running along the bottom side of the glass on the felt pad in the center of the glass and then dripping directly onto my center console, as if the gutters really don't play a role in my leak at all. That spot happens to be the butt connection of the glass weatherstrip, but it really seems like there should be a piece of weatherstrip on the back in that channel. With the roof closed, I can put my hand in there and feel the back gutter and the glass where it meets the body.

This is my third vehicle with a sunroof, but the first leaking one, and I don't really see how a clogged rear drain would actually prevent water drippage the way mine seems to be leaking.

·
Registered
147 Posts
check out the youtube video's on how to fix the drain tubes so they don't clog again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would assume the rear drain tubes would run down the B pillars and drain into the sub frame like the fronts do.

I ran the re-calibration, but don't expect a difference as it looked fine before. Like the above poster, I don't see any rear drains, unless they are at the back of the track system, in which case I don't see how I could snake them.

The water seems to be running along the bottom side of the glass on the felt pad in the center of the glass and then dripping directly onto my center console, as if the gutters really don't play a role in my leak at all. That spot happens to be the butt connection of the glass weatherstrip, but it really seems like there should be a piece of weatherstrip on the back in that channel. With the roof closed, I can put my hand in there and feel the back gutter and the glass where it meets the body.

This is my third vehicle with a sunroof, but the first leaking one, and I don't really see how a clogged rear drain would actually prevent water drippage the way mine seems to be leaking.

I don't see any other weatherstrip on mine either.
It feels like that is a gutter, and I took an LED light
looking for rear drain holes and came up with squat.

Have you tried pouring water down the front tubes?
Mine drains almost as fast as I can pour it out of a
large bottle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Alright, it is a gutter in the rear. I just took a bottle
of water, and poured it behind the sun roof. Sure enough
it ran down the channel, and ended up in back of the
front tire on the ground!

I did this test with the sun roof cracked like in the first
picture.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, my drains work quite well, draining water about as fast as I can pour it. I will triple check for debris and try to track the gutter and clean it if at all possible. Thanks for verifying that I'm not missing any weatherstrip.

I have to wonder though, if I'm parked on an incline, nose up, how would the water drain if the water is diverted to the front drains? I'll try this test and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, my drains work quite well, draining water about as fast as I can pour it. I will triple check for debris and try to track the gutter and clean it if at all possible. Thanks for verifying that I'm not missing any weatherstrip.

I have to wonder though, if I'm parked on an incline, nose up, how would the water drain if the water is diverted to the front drains? I'll try this test and see what I come up with.

Not missing anything from what I can see.

I was on level ground, so good question!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Parked on an incline pouring a water bottle into the rear of the vented sunroof, water began coming out of the rocker panels just in front of the rear tires. This suggests the presence of rear drains, though I still don't know how one would access them.

It's possible that these drains were draining slower, but they were both functioning. Pouring any amount of water on the back of my closed sunroof nose up, flat, or nose down, I don't get any water intrusion, but after pouring water nose down then rolling forward and hitting the brakes, I get a drop or two coming down into the cup holder.

@XJ99 - If you put your fingers up above the shade in the back with the sunroof closed, how much room is between the top of the gutter and the bottom of the glass? I feel about 1/2-3/4" gap in there, and can't help but think that if the gutter were in contact with the glass, I wouldn't be having this leaking issue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the same gap on mine.

So if there are rear drains again, how do you
access them? Makes sense they would be there
if you were parked facing up hill. I guess the gutter
system is for level ground, or facing down hill.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you remove the sunroof trim, and you can see how its attached by opening the glass and get up top and look down. Remove this and then pull down the roof liner and shine a light in there looking to the center pillar. You'll see the blue drain tube and rubber grommet attached to the water gutter. I was able to get a piece of 3/8" soft copper, insert into the opening and blow out the drains with bleachy water using a pressure sprayer. The drains go down the rear door jamb, behind the door.

If you think waters getting in at the seam of the weather strip, can you use clear silicone to seal it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cool thanks! I didn't even think about trying
to get to them from the inside!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not excited to take the entire headliner out on a hunch, especially since I see that my rear drains are working at least partially, and the water I'm talking about here is minimal. I am leaning toward a bad glass weatherstrip, so if I can't find a new one, I'll throw a bit of silicon on the butt joint and see if that doesn't help the problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just now pulled the sunroof trim down,
and was able to see the blue tubes. They
look almost impossible to reach with both
hands.

You don't have to remove the headliner, just
pull it down a bit and there they are.

Sorry for the grainy ipod pic, but it's in there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Were you able to snake the drain tubes with this procedure?

Also, are the bottoms of the rear drain tubes accessible to be cleaned/modified like the front drain tubes?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts