Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My lease is up about 10 months from now and I am having some trouble making a decision on what to do. I have a purchase option of 17K on a V6. So far, I am ok with engine power, I think it is enough, plus very impressed with the QT1 capabilities.

We use this vehicle as a weekend/pleasure vehicle mostly for road trips and it is important that it will take me there no matter if it is raining, snowing, etc. Might see some light off-road activity, such as beach, etc., but no trails at all.

I like the commander, but I also like the Wranger / Sahara 4dr. Budget is tight, so it would be soft cover, etc. I have been a member here for a long time and I understand you might be biased towards the commander, but I would appreciate your input on my decision. We are a small family of 3 (5 yr girl that loves Jeeps). So a 7 passanger car is not a must.

Oh and by the way, I have no idea what the difference between the Wrangler and Sahara is. The Sahara green color looks really hot.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Sahara is just a trim level of the Wrangler. Just like the Commander has base/Sport and Limited models, the Wrangler has X, Sahara, and Rubicon.

The main visual difference for the Sahara is it has body-color matched "flenders" (fender flares). It is also the only trim level available with 18" rims. On 2008 models the Sahara also has a silver-accented bumper. This really only looks good on the silver colored ones so it isn't really a good selling point. You could always swap the bumpers out for AEV or Fab Four ones though.

The Rubicon has much better (agressive) tires and comes fully locked and with a standard electronic sway bar disconnect.

I would advise against getting the 4-door in a soft top. The soft top is made of sail cloth and catches on the wind. Unless you have the AC on high, it is going to flop back and forth and make a lot of noise. When I took my friend to buy her JK we test drove both soft top and hard top models. The soft top makes much more noise. Granted any JK is not nearly as insulated as the XK and is going to be noisier.

Also note, the 3.8L is big enough for the 2-door JK but feels underpowered for the 4-door. It is fine when it gets up to speed but seems to be strained when accelerating from a stop. Fuel economy is better than the Commander though... when I have driven the 4-door I could get about 20 - 22mpg highway.

There are two greens available in the Wrangler... Rescue Green (which is the bright vivid chartreuse color used on the Rescue concept vehicle) and Jeep Green (which is a darker slightly-olive-tinted green that can also be found on the newer Commanders).

Note that if you go with the Wrangler you should definitely get the foglights. The main headlights are dim and the fog light beams alone appear to provide more illumination than the high beams.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... Sounds like the Wrangler is better than the Sahara. I'm a bit concerned about noise and ride on a long trip (like NJ/FL, etc.)... and yes, I agree with leasing... keeping miles under limit is a real pain. Also, I would rather have a V6 XK than an underpowered Wrangler... Man this decision is tough...

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you're using the vehicle primarily for road trips I'd stay with a Commander...much better on the road than a Wrangler..I tossed that idea around when I purchased mine. As much as I liked the Wrangler, the Commander is more practical and will take you almost anywhere that the Wrangler will.....just my two cents

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Dabitz said:
Thanks... Sounds like the Wrangler is better than the Sahara. I'm a bit concerned about noise and ride on a long trip (like NJ/FL, etc.)... and yes, I agree with leasing... keeping miles under limit is a real pain. Also, I would rather have a V6 XK than an underpowered Wrangler... Man this decision is tough...
Like I said before... Sahara is just a trim level of the Wrangler. So the statement "Sounds like the Wrangler is better than the Sahara" is kind of contradictory.

·
Registered
588 Posts
To me, its a tough choice between opting for a newer Commander (sorry, I just couldnt vote for a 6 cyl. in that heavy a vehicle) or a 4 door Wrangler Unlimited. I own a TJ AND a Commander. Its true my 2001 short wheelbase TJ cant compare on the road to a Commander, however the new UNLIMITED Wrangler is a long wheelbase, I believe longer then even the Commander and believe it or not I believe it has MORE cubic storage space besides. However, to me the bargain is the Rubicon model with 4:1 reduction and other upgrades. The catch is I dont think you will get much of a discount if any on the Wrangler. As far as ride, I havent ridden in one myself but I understand it is far more carlike then say my TJ. I suggest you test drive one before you make up your mind. john

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is an option... I am not really a huge fan of the Cherokee though... There are too many out there, like the liberty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I had a 95 yj Sahara Edition wrangler,I currently have a 01 TJ Sport Edition Wrangler and the Commander. I miss the yj because of the sahara pkgs. The cool pockets on the back of the seats in the 95 were really handy. With that being said I have no idea what the new ones offer. Me personally I would go the wrangler. I love the commander for comfort and all but 17k is a lot when for a little more you can get a brand new wrangler with complete warranty or b/c it is coming to a year end a brand new commander for close to that also. I would go for new anything over keeping your current lease. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tough call. based on your comments and the vehicle really being for family trips, the issue isn't so much which would be better for that, it is more price. The only advantage of a wrangler over the commander is off road and yes cost. If you are travelling which is more comfortable for your family? What if you need to pack a bit more gear which would you rather have, If (and God Forbid) you had an accident which would protect your family more. you have a lot to consider and I only offer a couple ideas that may get over looked. I wish you well in your decision.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
db_ohio said:
If (and God Forbid) you had an accident which would protect your family more.
You got me there... I feel very safe on my Commander, and both the soft/hard cover Wranglers don't look safe at all. I think safety is an issue I wasn't thinking about, specially since I have a 5 year old girl who loves road trips. We are leaving for Canada on Nov 19th...

I think I'll try to get an 08 V8 by Aug/Sept 08. I got a mailing from one dealership offering an early lease termination offer, but something smelled fishy so I didn't show up.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Look at the video's of the wrangler rolling over. That roll bar/cage increases the stability and safety of the vehicle. There is a stabil ground clearance, longer wheelbase and a roll cage/frame. The wrangler does very well there. Did you see the post some time back where a Commander was t boned and wrapped around a metal pole? It wrapped around the pole and the driver killed becasue there is no frame. The 6cyl is a dog. The 3.7 I think is too underpowered for this size/weight of vehicle. I think that is a safety issue if you can't pull out in traffic. That bothered me, which is why I got the 4.7. So, what do you really want? It's the "Wanna" the "Wanna" makes you do it. (George Carlin..wanna....)
I love my commander, but if I was doing serious 4wheeling, I would have a wrangler. I like the room, the seat height and storage capacity. That's why I chose the Commander. It wasn't if I was getting a Jeep. That is a given. Which one fit my need.....The Grand...but the "wanna" got the Commander....

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
If it is a CFC lease, you can only turn it up to 3 months early. I started getting those notes at 12 months before the end of my lease. So I called a couple times asking why I was getting the notices if I couldnt turn it in....it's a marketing ploy.....but remember, if you don't refinance with CFC, they ding you with a disposal fee. Mine was $300 plus tax. The dealer told me that Chrysler would waive it since I got another Chrysler product. He swore to me, promised me, they would waive it. Today he gave me a check for the disposal fee, CFC doesnt waive them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I remember seeing that picture of the XK wrapped around a pole. My disposal fee is $500. Ouch... Maybe by the time my lease is over in Sept 08, I can get a good deal on a V8 '08, which is supposely improved over 06-07 models.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Unless you're going to be doing some definite off-roading, like wind noise and less interior space, go for a newer XK with a 4.7l. And stop leasing, its the most expensive way to own a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I agree, Go for the 08 XK if you like your current one and you spend more time on the road than off.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
are all 4x4 systems on the wrangler and sahara the same? Or do they have the equivalent of QT1, 2, etc.? One turn off about the wrangler/sahara is that the auto tranny is only 4 speed. I am fine with stick shift, although my wife would have to learn it. I am not sure if at her advanced age of 35 she would be up to the talk... ha, ha...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts