Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to replace some of the burned out halogens which light up some of the buttons on the dash with LEDs.

I bought one of those LED light strips from an auto parts store and cut the LEDs out. The sticky back on that strip came in handy to hold the LEDs in place while soldering the resistors and terminals.

I used a 1/8 watt, 470 ohm resistor for each LED.
In the end, the lights were a tad too bright so I should have used a stronger resistor. After looking at the circuit board a bit more, it may be possible to avoid resisters per LED and just put one large resister on the positive power terminal. That terminal looks as though it's sole purpose is to power the bulbs. Since there are multiple wires feeding into the board, there may be more than one positive. I may tear it apart again one day to see but I'm happy with the way it is for now.

My goal was to finish all the buttons in the dash but I wasn't able to do much with the climate controls and the gear shifter.

The climate controls are not white like the other buttons. They are painted with a mixture of blue, red and some shades in between. It's not possible to make them white without distorting the little climate logos. Any color other than halogen yellow makes it look like garbage, so I left it alone.

The bulbs for the gear shifter can't be exposed without removing the center console so I just left it alone as well.

·
Registered
392 Posts
That's pretty cool. You did a pretty good job. I'd like mine to be all blue to match the rest of my interior lights. Too bad I don't have the knowledge to complete something like this. :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's pretty cool. You did a pretty good job. I'd like mine to be all blue to match the rest of my interior lights. Too bad I don't have the knowledge to complete something like this. :(
Thank you!
I agree, blue would look pretty sick.. You should try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts