Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Commander Overland, 4X4, 2 Inch Lift, 1.5 Spacers
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
I've seen plenty of discussions around LEDS so not sure if anyone gave a solution to this problem or not.

Symptom:
  • LEDs flicker when turned off for about 30 seconds (assuming you turned off the car)
  • If the lights are on then off and Ignition is on, they'll continue to flicker until car is completely off.

Let me start by saying this isn't my final setup but a temp one until I get my new LEDs. I've been waiting for ones that have a D2S HID Blub fitting so I can install it into my projectors without any "Creativity" to keep it in place.

I'm no Electrical geek so excuse my simplicity in explaining this. Also, though the Bulbs have a can-bus it only keeps the lights from flickering when on but when you turn it off, there's power that needs to be discharged (or so I was told).

What we did (meaning I observed and He my mechanic did the work). He took out a line from the Factory lines and into a small base with a secondary bulb. So once the LEDS are on, it powers the little bulb and comes on. When LEDS are Off, it seems all that is discharged back into the secondary bulb.

I've snapped a few pics of the current setup to help visualize what I'm trying to explain :) Though it works, these little suckers tend to burn so I usually have a handful of them in the car so I can just swap them out.

UPDATE: Ok so just realized a ton of info on this so my bad!

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior

The Little Bulb base that's connected to the Factory wiring:

Automotive tire Finger Nail Thumb Wrist

The little sucker that keeps burning:
Tire Wheel Hand Automotive tire Window

Reactions: Arapahoe

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,442 Posts
Thanks for the fix.

Reactions: FadyA

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
Hey Guys,
I've seen plenty of discussions around LEDS so not sure if anyone gave a solution to this problem or not.

Symptom:
  • LEDs flicker when turned off for about 30 seconds (assuming you turned off the car)
  • If the lights are on then off and Ignition is on, they'll continue to flicker until car is completely off.

Let me start by saying this isn't my final setup but a temp one until I get my new LEDs. I've been waiting for ones that have a D2S HID Blub fitting so I can install it into my projectors without any "Creativity" to keep it in place.

I'm no Electrical geek so excuse my simplicity in explaining this. Also, though the Bulbs have a can-bus it only keeps the lights from flickering when on but when you turn it off, there's power that needs to be discharged (or so I was told).

What we did (meaning I observed and He my mechanic did the work). He took out a line from the Factory lines and into a small base with a secondary bulb. So once the LEDS are on, it powers the little bulb and comes on. When LEDS are Off, it seems all that is discharged back into the secondary bulb.

I've snapped a few pics of the current setup to help visualize what I'm trying to explain :) Though it works, these little suckers tend to burn so I usually have a handful of them in the car so I can just swap them out.

UPDATE: Ok so just realized a ton of info on this so my bad!

The Little Bulb base that's connected to the Factory wiring:

The little sucker that keeps burning:
@Fadyasha ;

Depending on which brand of LED's you go with, it may (and hopefully does) come with an Anti-Flicker harness if they are quality LED Headlight Bulbs.

From my experience with my Commander - as cumbersome as it is, the anti-flicker harness is necessary to keep the LED headlights from flickering when you turn the ignition off, as you described.

·
Registered
Jeep Commander Overland, 4X4, 2 Inch Lift, 1.5 Spacers
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Fadyasha ;

Depending on which brand of LED's you go with, it may (and hopefully does) come with an Anti-Flicker harness if they are quality LED Headlight Bulbs.

From my experience with my Commander - as cumbersome as it is, the anti-flicker harness is necessary to keep the LED headlights from flickering when you turn the ignition off, as you described.
True. I've tried a few brands but never came with Anti-flickering despite using different brands. Once the new ones arrive, I'll get a proper harness to tidy it up nicely.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander Base 3.7 litre V6, 4WD QT-I
24 Posts
I highly recommend:

The owner is very responsive and out of FL.

I've purchase the low beams w/ ballest, fog lamps. 8000K. Fantastic product. I plan on upgrading the hi beams this year (I dont use them much)

Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts