Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the Uk so we have 9005 high beam and H11 low beam bulbs.
I replaced them with Nilight Led bulbs as recommended on this site.
I installed the bulbs and turned the lights on, the H11 low beam worked fine, no flicker and turned right off when the lights did. The 9005 high beams worked on high beam but flickered and stayed on slightly when high beam was turned off. They also stayed on for around 20 seconds with the car turned off completely.
So I ordered a pair of anti flicker harness’s from Amazon that arrived today. I fitted them to the 9005 bulbs and the bulbs did not come on at all ie they don’t work. I took the harness off and the bulbs worked as before but with flicker.
I put the old high beam non led lbulbs back in and they work fine. So now I have low beam hid with no flicker and halogen high beams.

so…. Do I need to put anti flicker harness’s on all four bulbs even though the low beams work fine?
Is that the reason the high beams don’t work with the harness?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received !!!

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
I made a signature for you but you did not enter what engine you have?
To make or modify a Signature click here for instructions - Signature - How to make or modify

I still have all the original light bulbs from when it was built, headlights to taillights. :LOL:

Reactions: jklightner

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
I’m sorry I dont understand the headlights to glovebox comment, maybe I’m being slow?
@Jez676 ;

You need to get LED Headlights equipped with Anti-flicker harnesses.

If you buy cheaper LED headlight bulbs, that don't come with an anti-flicker harness, you'll have the exact kind of problems that you're experiencing.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have anti flicker harnesses, my question was why they didn’t work and was it because I needed them on all four bulbs even though the low beams didn’t flicker ?

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
I’m sorry I dont understand the headlights to glovebox comment, maybe I’m being slow?
I edited it to make more sense - sorry I was just trying to be funny and wasn't.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
I have anti flicker harnesses, my question was why they didn’t work and was it because I needed them on all four bulbs even though the low beams didn’t flicker ?
Whichever bulbs are having the problem you've described, needs an anti-flicker harness.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t think you read my original message in detail big Blue.

The ones that flicker do have an anti flicker harness but they don’t work with the harness, they do not light up when connected to the harness.They work without the harness but flicker.

The ones that don’t flicker are the low beam H11’s which don't have an anti flicker harness.

the questions are….

1 Why don’t the 9005 high bulbs work with the anti flicker harness?

2 if I put an anti flicker harness on the H11 bulbs, even though they aren’t flickering, will that then make the high beams stop flickering? Ie do I need four harness’s to make the CANBus understand and all lights to work without flicker?

regards
Jez

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
I don’t think you read my original message in detail big Blue.

The ones that flicker do have an anti flicker harness but they don’t work with the harness, they do not light up when connected to the harness.They work without the harness but flicker.

The ones that don’t flicker are the low beam H11’s which don't have an anti flicker harness.

the questions are….

1 Why don’t the 9005 high bulbs work with the anti flicker harness?

2 if I put an anti flicker harness on the H11 bulbs, even though they aren’t flickering, will that then make the high beams stop flickering? Ie do I need four harness’s to make the CANBus understand and all lights to work without flicker?

regards
Jez
@Jez676

I read your post completely & your problem doesn't make sense to me;

If you have the correct bulbs & the correct anti-flicker harnesses (don't know that amazon is the best source to buy them) you shouldn't be having the problem's your describing, which tells me either your bulbs, or, your anti-flkicker harnesses aren't functioning properly.

It's very possible, that you have a faulty set of 9005 bulbs, or, an incompatible or faulty set of anti-flicker harnesses.

What brand of 9005 LED Bulbs did you buy?

I have 9005's from Putco for my high-beams & I don't have the problems you're having.

· Registered
2007 Commander Limited Hemi 2wd
61 Posts
Allow me to chime in gents, as I had a recent experience. Fast forward till today and I have properly working LED bulbs on high, low, and fogs.

At first I started with a cheap set. C6 brand I believe.
No anti-flicker harness. They did a good job and worked with no problems on low beams.
High beams would flicker during DRL operation and would only stop if I turned them on manually.
Added another set of premium leds. These claimed to have the anti-flickering properties but it still didn’t solve the problem.
So I ordered 2 sets of the flickering harness and it solved all my problems.
Now jeep runs the DRLs at full bright setting and my low beams turn on 0.00073 seconds faster.

The reason for flickering is these vehicles with DRLs push a low amount of voltage to the headlights, usually the high beams, and hence that is why they are dim during DRL operation.

Leds work on a lower voltage than regular halogen bulbs, which happens to be what our jeeps are designed to run.
So this low voltage is enough to power on the leds but not enough juice to power them at full brightness hence the flickering.

As I read your comments, about theninly 2 things I could think of that may be wromg with your setup is
A) the polarity on the harnesses was backwards. Try switching them.
B) the harnesses are defective.

Hope this helps

· Registered
69 Posts
I betcha either the harness or bulb is plugged in the wrong way. LED's are directional circuit. And yes you do need all 4, since the circuit all works together. The PCM isn't just sending 12v to the bulbs and hoping for the best. It's a communication system that takes into account the total resistance of the bulbs & circuit.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
I betcha either the harness or bulb is plugged in the wrong way. LED's are directional circuit. And yes you do need all 4, since the circuit all works together. The PCM isn't just sending 12v to the bulbs and hoping for the best. It's a communication system that takes into account the total resistance of the bulbs & circuit.
I didn't think of that, that's a very good point @bryankodiak .

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what worked for mine.
the plugs are connected on the harnesses the right way and the bulbs can only go one way because of the clips.
I’ve just ordered another pair of anti flicker harnesses do that I have four in total as per Commander Donny.s post.
I will report back when they turn up and I fit them.

nany thanks for all of your input 👍

· Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 142k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
332 Posts
I had to look closely at the harness to realize they could flip either way. Good luck and keep us posted!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts