Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna try something new. Ordered a single LED "Spider" taillight. It's five arms of six LEDs each, with a signficant space in the center. Ordered only one to test out fitment and electrical issues I've heard of. It'll be fun even if it doesn't work out.

If this goes through well, however, I would be interested in the idea of creating custom arrangements of LEDs. I saw a pioneer of this on NSX Prime and it looked amazing. The only issue would be separating the lens from the housing. Does anybody know if this is possible?

I'll update when they come in - 10 to 20 day shipping from China. It was 8 bucks after everything, so no complaints here. Hopefully they'll be in by the time I return from vacation in a few days as I ordered a little more than a week ago.

Tedd

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well if it doesn't work out but you still want LED Lighting, I went through carid.com and ordered replacement LEDs for all my exterior light bulbs and absolutely love them.

Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I want to do something unique and noticeable though. Not like eagle eyes that I've seen on a few. If anybody has ideas for patterns I'm all ears.

·
Registered
809 Posts
In regards to removing the lenses- definitely possible, but not easy. The usual process involves baking the whole assembly in your oven to soften the glue/gasket that holds them together, but whatever Chrysler used on their lights is notoriously stubborn. No doubt cheaper aftermarket lights would pop right open after some heating. I have personally taken the OEM lights apart and it was a bear to break the seal without warping the softened lense plastic. Have always thought that if I did it again I would just use a cutoff wheel on the seal-flange part and then adhere it back on with gasket maker of some sort. Might be worth sourcing an extra light on eBay, salvage vard, etc. to do some expiramenting. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, Kansas. I'll try to see if there's any way of procuring lenses before doing that....fingers crossed.

The website says it has been shipped, so looking forward to testing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well if it doesn't work out but you still want LED Lighting, I went through carid.com and ordered replacement LEDs for all my exterior light bulbs and absolutely love them.

Good luck
You able to replace the turn signals with LEDs too?

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Kansas. I'll try to see if there's any way of procuring lenses before doing that....fingers crossed.

The website says it has been shipped, so looking forward to testing.
I have a broken OEM tail light that you can have for shipping charges.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
How broken? Just name a standard shipping price to send to Shreveport and I'll give you a few more bucks in appreciation.
Here is a pic of the tail light. It is no longer on the vehicle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That'll work great for some trial and error things, for lack of a better phrase. Send me a quote for shipping to Shreveport,LA.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
I'll get back to you with the shipping charges once I get it boxed. What is the zip code it will be going to ? Which carrier do you prefer ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sent a friendly email to Jeep regarding the identity of the sealant. Once it's known, I'll contact some friends who know a thing or two about chemistry to find the best way to remove the sealant in a reliable fashion.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Sent a friendly email to Jeep regarding the identity of the sealant. Once it's known, I'll contact some friends who know a thing or two about chemistry to find the best way to remove the sealant in a reliable fashion.
Don't count on getting an answer. You may get a reply but I doubt if they will know/divulge the info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't count on getting an answer. You may get a reply but I doubt if they will know/divulge the info.
I figured as much. It's just an inconvenience if they don't. I'm taking an auto tech course as a class and we have all of the service/repair/etc information. It'll just be another week and a half before it starts up after Christmas. Either way, I'm getting this damned sealant info ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes you can replace all of your lights with LEDs.
The front turn signals? Have you or anyone else done this? I dug through the forums awhile back and people were claiming that it didn't work properly. If it's possible I am definitely going to buy some. Would the ones from CarID work? I don't want a headache of having crappy ones from eBay or wherever giving me issues.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Teddyyo, I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So far they are working for me, currently I'm in Argentina. It will be a while till I get home. But will post some pictures of them if you would like.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for delays. With the extra taillight from jeep I should be able to try some things to get the ball rolling on some more custom arrangements.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Tail light shipped. Sending you a PM.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts