Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to buy an 06 commander and wandering if anybody has any good mods to give the passenger more leg room in the front seat?

i'm 6'8 and need more room in the passenger side ...........drivers side is fine

Thanks
Higgins11

·
2,248 Posts
Take the front passenger seat out and sit in the second row on the right side. I did not think anyone had trouble with the leg room on a Commander.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no. seat is all the way back and knees in the dash. I considered if we buy it unbolting it and bolting it down further back but didn't know if yall had any thing better. Suprisingly enough I'm not as cramped in the back seats as the front passenger nor is the drivers seat a problem

·
Registered
228 Posts
can we see a picture of you sitting in the front passenger seat? curious to see how cramped you could be.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
You have honestly brought up something new to this forum, I too am surprised that you have a hard time fitting but I am not sure er have had anyone you height share yet.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
How many of you have sat in the front passenger seat? I am right at 6' and it is a little uncomfortable. Wonder if you could move the seat back.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe

I looked at it again this morning and I would like who ever can to go out to their commander and look at the passenger seat and tell me if you think this will work

I think i can unbolt the slides from the floor board mount and back it up

then go around behind the seat and undo the stops. It looks like the seat should slide back another inch or so with just the slide stop removed.

If i could get the seat to slide back a couple of inches more i think i'd be ok

i don't want to buy this Jeep and it be so uncomfortable i can't ride in it

My moms Honda Pilot has more room in the passenger seat but I WANT ANOTHER JEEP DANG IT

·
Registered
488 Posts
RedCommander said:
Very strange, my passenger seat goes back as far as the drivers seat. Does yours?

same here.

it may be that the glovebox is lower than the panels under the steering wheel though.

can't look at the Jeep to confirm as wifey has it with her 300 miles away. I will look tonight when I get to her

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I went and looked at the rails. You cant move the base back, but it does look like you can take the rails off and move them back in addition to moving the stop back. I felt under the front part of the rail and bracket and there are holes there. Looks like you should be able to move it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Drysuitdriver hit the nail on the head. The dash sticks out way futher on the passengers side than the drivers side. The drivers side is smooth and contours down to the pedals leaving more leg room.

Thanks for the pics. I can't view them at work but will look at them at home tonight

Higgins

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here is what i have found

if you look at the last picture posted

there is a little black plastic piece on the rear stop of the slide. I went to pop it out and there were wires attached to it

Also I took out the bolt on that rear stop (by the way there is a nut on the bottom so you have to undo the mounts and push up on the seat some ) and there appears to be a rivot in the the there too (i unbolted the stop and it still was held by the rivot) I guess i could take the whole seat out and drill out the rivot

ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe find one you like with electric seats?? Mine goes back to within about 2" of the back seat. I'm 6'3" and got lotsa room over there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Higgins11 said:
I think Drysuitdriver hit the nail on the head. The dash sticks out way futher on the passengers side than the drivers side. The drivers side is smooth and contours down to the pedals leaving more leg room.

Thanks for the pics. I can't view them at work but will look at them at home tonight

Higgins

hmmm the slope under the glovebox ands steering wheel are the same on my Commander.

I noticed it yesterday when cleaning the inside after the vacation ( the kids are never ever having bread sticks as a snack in tthe Jeep ever again) so I don't think thats the problem

1 - 19 of 19 Posts