Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a newby on this site. Had my 3.0l crd Commander since last August, going to France this Summer. So....anybody in the U.K. know where to put dip-right headlamp converter patches, (no rude answers please) on said Commander, please?:):bowdown:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Would you please explain to us in the US what theses are and why you need them ? Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
UK vehicles are designed for driving on the left-hand side of the road. This means when you use your vehicle in countries where you drive on the right (most of Europe), you will dazzle oncoming drivers at night. If you're driving to the Continent then you must adjust the headlight beam pattern to suit driving on the right so that the dipped beam doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers. and thats what they do

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
UK vehicles are designed for driving on the left-hand side of the road. This means when you use your vehicle in countries where you drive on the right (most of Europe), you will dazzle oncoming drivers at night. If you're driving to the Continent then you must adjust the headlight beam pattern to suit driving on the right so that the dipped beam doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers. and thats what they do
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
For the Americans, if you ever look up how to adjust your headlamps yourself, you'll see that, as well as the beams having to be below a certain height (actually an angle of elevation), the beams are aimed slightly to the right, i.e. slightly away from oncoming traffic, so you don't blind drivers coming in the opposite direction.

As well, headlamps are designed to have asymetric pattern to the beam, the "dipped beam" that onebirdyman was talking about. Basically the beam has a "Cut-Out" portion to it, that keeps it from throwing light on the oncoming traffic side of the road, but spreads out everywhere else.

So I guess, these converter patches you speak of, are some sort of Opaque Patch you put over your headlamp, that blocks the headlamp beam from extending into oncoming traffic? Basically makes a cut-out of the beam for the new traffic pattern?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts