Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a new owner of an '08 Commander Sport with Rocky Mountain package. Love it!! Problem - my passenger door won't open from the outside. I click the unlock button inside and with the FOBIK but it will only open if I pull on the inside handle. It's the only door with that problem. Am I doomed to a visit to a dealership?? Thanks for any help. Previously had a '99 Jeep Wrangler with a small lift, but totalled it on bridge on ice in January. Bent the frame. Was a very sad day, but am loving the Commander!!!:)

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Welcome to the forum Effie. I'm a sure you will find what you are looking for and more. I have gained a lot of insight to my ride on here. Do the community a favor by taking some pictures of this project and more so others can learn. Giving back is a great way to help others!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ok how about this... if you open the door, then close it, you can't reopen it right away from the outside handle?

And do you feel any resistance in the handle at all?

Could be as simple as the linkage came off.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum Effie. I'm a sure you will find what you are looking for and more. I have gained a lot of insight to my ride on here. Do the community a favor by taking some pictures of this project and more so others can learn. Giving back is a great way to help others!
What project are you talking about ? She is having a door lock problem.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If the door's lock is working then its going to be a problem with the outside handle. The handle has a metal rod attached to it, this is the linkage. The rod runs down to the latch mechanism. As you pull out on the handle, the rod pushes down on the latch and the door pops open. The only thing holding the rod to the handle is a little plastic clip. The clip can either break or can just simply pop off. The clip only costs a couple of dollars but a shop will have to remove the inside door panel to access the linkage. Assuming that the clip is the problem, they will probably charge you an hour of labor, maybe an hour and a half to reattach the linkage.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Exactly. With just a bit more information we'd be able to tell if its the lock actuator or just the linkage.

Taking the door apart is extremely easy. A few simple hand tools and you're set. I'd pop the panel off to see what's going on in there. Quick hint, its easier to take off with the window down, but you'll Want to reconnect the switch and raise the window back up to access the door lock and linkages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts