Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander (XK) Limited, 4x4, 5.7L Hemi
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my issue is the AC Recirculation Door Lever in a 2008 XK Overland (5.7 L Hemi, 4x4). This is the gear looking piece that has a small 3/4" shaft sticking off the end of it that goes through the side of the passenger AC housing and into the blend door. In earlier models this was a piece you could order separately. In the schematic below it is marked as A/C Lever Recirculation Blend Door (4):

This is the gear that sits between the Actuator (2), which has the Actuator gear (5) which then turns the Blend Door Lever (4).

My problem is that in the 2008 this is not a serviceable part and is impossible to find for sale. Officially I would have to buy the whole housing (Part 68020233ab) which includes the Lever. I have it highlighted in the image below:

I have replaced the Actuator gear with a aftermarket from Amazon because that broke as well, and the aftermarket one seems significantly sturdier than the OEM part. What I am trying to do is find this part, or a 3d printed or after market version of this part. I am trying not to spend 250-400 dollars on a part that shouldn't be more than 15-20 dollars, which is roughly the price I paid for the Actuator gear.

From what I can tell the part is identical to this part from earlier models:

Mopar 5143125AA
Lever-A/C RECIRCULATION Door

Any help from you experts would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
16,034 Posts
@RayKeith Welcome to the forum! Thank you for creating a signature without having to be asked to do it. I wish everyone did that. But please add more details about your XK to the signature (engine, drivetrain). I moved your thread to the New Member Section since it is your 1st post. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So my issue is the AC Recirculation Door Lever in a 2008 XK Overland (5.7 L Hemi, 4x4). This is the gear looking piece that has a small 3/4" shaft sticking off the end of it that goes through the side of the passenger AC housing and into the blend door. In earlier models this was a piece you could order separately. In the schematic below it is marked as A/C Lever Recirculation Blend Door (4):

This is the gear that sits between the Actuator (2), which has the Actuator gear (5) which then turns the Blend Door Lever (4).

My problem is that in the 2008 this is not a serviceable part and is impossible to find for sale. Officially I would have to buy the whole housing (Part 68020233ab) which includes the Lever. I have it highlighted in the image below:

I have replaced the Actuator gear with a aftermarket from Amazon because that broke as well, and the aftermarket one seems significantly sturdier than the OEM part. What I am trying to do is find this part, or a 3d printed or after market version of this part. I am trying not to spend 250-400 dollars on a part that shouldn't be more than 15-20 dollars, which is roughly the price I paid for the Actuator gear.

From what I can tell the part is identical to this part from earlier models:

Mopar 5143125AA
Lever-A/C RECIRCULATION Door

Any help from you experts would be appreciated.
I searched high and low for that piece as well. In the end I was able to rig my broken one back together using a screw and some epoxy. It has held for about 2 years now, fingers crossed it keeps on lasting. Depending on how yours broke that might be an option for you.

Alternatively, you may want to check some of the Grand Cherokee (wk) forums. You seem like you have done your research so I'm sure you know that model is built on the same platform and has a ton of identical parts. The WK's are a bit more popular so you may be able to find someone with a 3d printable file or other solution there.

edit
I found this. I think this might be for the older model since it doesn't have the gear piece but maybe with a little modification, you can make it work???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I searched high and low for that piece as well. In the end I was able to rig my broken one back together using a screw and some epoxy. It has held for about 2 years now, fingers crossed it keeps on lasting. Depending on how yours broke that might be an option for you.

Alternatively, you may want to check some of the Grand Cherokee (wk) forums. You seem like you have done your research so I'm sure you know that model is built on the same platform and has a ton of identical parts. The WK's are a bit more popular so you may be able to find someone with a 3d printable file or other solution there.

edit
I found this. I think this might be for the older model since it doesn't have the gear piece but maybe with a little modification, you can make it work???
Thanks for the help. That's for the older models where the blend door shaft comes out and connect right into the actuator. The 2008 has that stupid lever gear that is between the actuator and the blend door. I think 2006? Is when they started with the "lever" and 2008? is when they made it non serviceable and part of the housing.

I am utilizing your plan of reinforcing the broken shaft with a metal rod (cut off coat hanger) and using a bonding agent. I'll let you know how it goes with pics hopefully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

edit
This is what I started with:

8BDC86A6-61DE-4B63-812C-BC52A863FABD.jpeg

As an update; I did what you suggested and it worked. I now have a working recirculation door. Here were my materials for the repair :

9EE75BE7-797D-4F86-B6E5-F308C54F698B.jpeg

I used the bonding cement before affixing the broken piece together and then filled the weak void with the liquid nails to hold the screw head in place for the long run.

Final result after shaping and paint:

14881CC0-2B60-4477-9DE2-28EC479AFD12.jpeg

If someone could 3D print these or make a blueprint I know people would need them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is what I started with:

As an update; I did what you suggested and it worked. I now have a working recirculation door. Here were my materials for the repair :

I used the bonding cement before affixing the broken piece together and then filled the weak void with the liquid nails to hold the screw head in place for the long run.

Final result after shaping and paint:

If someone could 3D print these or make a blueprint I know people would need them.
haha glad you figured it out. I meant to give a more detailed description and see if I could find some pics but you literally did the exact same thing I did so I guess it was close enough. Like I said mine has been holding up so far, hope yours does the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts