Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for a place that would install a lift locally being as I don't really want to mess with it... and came across this place in the DFW area.

They actually have their own body lift for the Commander.
Do you think there are any pro's/cons to this system over something like the Rocky Road lift?

http://www.mikesoffroad.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=20

Thanks in advance for your help. I did a search for Mike's Offroad and came up with nothing...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well scrub that idea, I just called Mike's Offroad to find out how much they would charge to install it. They said they can do it for $1300 installed! For a $206 body lift, they want to charge $1100 to install it.

He said I could have a 'new customer' special, which would make labor $800 for the install. That's still a bunch of money...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Price looks right and it looks like the same as the RR lift. The RR uses the same style front strut towers and a poly rear. Looks like Mike's rear spacers are a better quality than the RR. The RR are a smaller diameter than the Mike's version.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
OK well the labor is way out of line. Even charging $800 is too much but the kit looks good other than that. Also its not a body lift its a suspension lift. If it was a body lift then the $800 would not be too bad since they would have to supply you with a frame.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I had my lift installed fro $375. $800 is way too much.

They also might have quoted you the price for the 4" superlift.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I figured the cost was a little steep.
The price they quoted was to install the 2" lift they offer on their website...

Drive to me and ill install it for free. Well of course you better bring a case of beer with you!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Now there's a tempting offer!
Here is a better offer.

Haul your butt to the West Coast Meet in July and I'll do an install class using yours. You buy the parts and I'll supply the tools.

Oh ya, you still have to bring beer though :rofl:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Here is a better offer.

Haul your butt to the West Coast Meet in July and I'll do an install class using yours. You buy the parts and I'll supply the tools.

Oh ya, you still have to bring beer though :rofl:
I like this plan. Do you want to install my UCAs as well? :)

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I like this plan. Do you want to install my UCAs as well? :)
Uppers are a little more work, but managable on the trail. Heck I'll butcher anything once. Just Kidding. The hardest part of the job is the electronics above the driver strut.

I'll R&R mine a few times before the trip to see if there is any short cuts or issues to be aware of. Oh Ya, bring Captain Morgan. :burnout:

·
Registered
953 Posts
For a $206 body lift, they want to charge $1100 to install it.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the XK is unibody construction, so there really is no such thing as a body lift, since there's no frame. Suspension lift, yes, body lift, no.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the XK is unibody construction, so there really is no such thing as a body lift, since there's no frame. Suspension lift, yes, body lift, no.
You are correct.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, got my wording wrong... I suck at the internet, I know.

Well, I have 2 more quotes now... one for $500 installed and one for $350 installed.

Just have to save up a few sheckles now...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Uppers are a little more work, but managable on the trail. Heck I'll butcher anything once. Just Kidding. The hardest part of the job is the electronics above the driver strut.

I'll R&R mine a few times before the trip to see if there is any short cuts or issues to be aware of. Oh Ya, bring Captain Morgan. :burnout:
Getting around the electronics above the driver's side strut was one of the easiest parts of the whole install.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Getting around the electronics above the driver's side strut was one of the easiest parts of the whole install.
It's hard to sound sarcastic on the internet, but I gave it a try when I posted that. You are right, it is easy and so is the rest of the job.

Sorry for the thread hi jack. It was 49ers fault.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i bought my lift over the internet.....and then took it to the jeep dealer....
they charged $120.00 in labor to install it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts