Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Power-liftgate-rod Repair... Help?

How do I remove the plastic trim around the lift-gate glass?

It seems the power-lift-gate rod has disconnected... Anyone repair this? How did you repair it?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Assuming that the part of the piston that connects to the lift-gate is not broken, or that there isn't a broken screw or damaged mounting hardware of some sort, it probably just worked itself loose over time from vibration and just needs to be re-connected (this would be your best-case scenario).

If the part of the piston that connects to the lift-gate is damaged or broken, obviously you'll need a new piston assembly. If you have a broken or missing mounting screw or damaged mounting hardware, that should be self-explanatory, just replace the screw or mounting hardware that is missing or damaged.

I have not had to touch my lift-gate pistons before, and I do not have a power lift gate, so, I can't tell you for certain how those pistons connect to the lift-gate.

Those pieces of plastic trim around the lift-gate glass are typically press-fit and just snap into place, (I know for certain that's true for the plastic trim at the top of the lift gate where the park-assist sensor is) so, you should be able to pop it out or carefully pry it loose with a butter knife or a plastic wedge. I would avoid using a screw driver as you could easily damage or gouge the plastic trim.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts