Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Overland with the power lift gate. My lift gate no longer opens. I've tried with the FOB, the button by the sunroof, and just doing it manually and nothing. With all three methods it beeps twice at me. When i try to unlock it, i can't hear anything coming from the back. I popped the panel off in back and couldn't really see or feel anything. I could feel the mechanism still worked and a little nob that moved up and down next to the latch, but didn't affect anything. Book said there is an emergency lift gate latch release inside that panel, but i can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can feel the latch work when i pull the handle, but nothing with any of the buttons. I'm guessing it is some kind of electrical issue not allowing it to unlock.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Try replacing the liftgate struts first since they're not expensive. If they're bad the liftgate motor will not have the assistance it needs from the struts to lift it. If that doesn't work then look into replacing the liftgate motor. I was looking into this before winter and I thought I saved a link with the motor but I can't find it. I ended up replacing my struts with StrongArm brand and it helped. Also, I've read that others have taken it in to the dealer to reprogram the liftgate and that seems to help.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Try replacing the liftgate struts first since they're not expensive. If they're bad the liftgate motor will not have the assistance it needs from the struts to lift it. If that doesn't work then look into replacing the liftgate motor. I was looking into this before winter and I thought I saved a link with the motor but I can't find it. I ended up replacing my struts with StrongArm brand and it helped. Also, I've read that others have taken it in to the dealer to reprogram the liftgate and that seems to help.

Good luck and keep us posted.
X2 for the StrongArm brand. My tailgate is manual, but it raises itself completely about I open it about 6 inches. They are stronger than the factory struts ever were.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts