Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 06 Hemi, with the 2.25 inch lift in the front and back. My overall goal is to lift the sagging front end so it's lined up with the rear, and to swap out my 265/70/17's with a set of 255/75/17's on a new set of wheels. I could use some ideas and advice on lifts, springs, wheel backspace, and all that fancy stuff.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
How much lift do you want, and how much are you interested in spending? Shocks are new/old?

OME HD springs would level and lift you vehicle ~3" from stock. You would have to remove your current lift.
OME sells shocks as well designed for this lift. Some people like to run Bilsteins for a bit less money, (or there are other options as well) with these springs. Keep in mind that you'll want some longer shocks.

bilstein 5100 struts can lift .75-1.5-2" (the lower spring perches are adjustable) and you could run those @ .75" along with your current setup. They only lift the front.

I have 5.39" backspacing on my current wheels with bilsteins @ 1.5" on 255/70r18's 18x9's (same size tire as 255/75r17)
6.5" BS is stock IIRC, so i have 1.11" less backspacing (around the same as 1.25" spacer) and a wider wheel, so the lip sticks out about 2.61" further than stock on my XK. In short Less backspacing = sticking out more.

Q: What is wheel back spacing and how does it effect my Commander?

A: Backspacing is simply the distance from the back of the mounting pad to the back lip of the wheel. It is measured by laying the wheel on its face, placing a straight edge across the wheel, and then measuring down to mounting face. The higher this measurement the more the wheel is pushed inboard towards the car’s centerline.

Q: What is wheel offset and how does it effect my Commander?

A: Offset is the distance from the mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel, expressed in millimeters. Positive offset means that the wheels are pushed inboard towards the centerline of the car like a car with front wheel drive. Negative means that the wheels are moved outboard towards the fenders, widening the track

Here is a link that explains how to convert offset to back spacing. Keep in mind that some wheels only list the offset http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...p?bulletin=s10

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the exception of a 2100 dollar 4 inch lift, price isn't really an issue, I'm just in need of ideas and advice. I heard the bilstein 5100 fail even with minor off-road use, and that would be problematic considering I go hunting every weekend.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
With the exception of a 2100 dollar 4 inch lift, price isn't really an issue, I'm just in need of ideas and advice. I heard the bilstein 5100 fail even with minor off-road use, and that would be problematic considering I go hunting every weekend.
I would seriously consider the OME HD setup with shocks and springs. Should be a little less than $800 for parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not looking for the back end to be changed at all, I just want the front a little higher to match better

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm not looking for the back end to be changed at all, I just want the front a little higher to match better
Rustys makes these:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-spacers-strut-plates-xk-wk.html

Not sure if they should be used in conjunction with your current lift. The problem is that you have already increased downtravel nearly to the limit, this would add to that, and I'm guessing that you'll likely have contact with the UCA and spring @ full droop. There is a reason why RC wasn't designed as a 3" lift in the front.

Replacing the upper spring isolators in the front may help a bit if they are worn out.

You can look into this style of lift, it is a longer front clevis. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Front-3-5-Lift-Kit-For-Jeep-WK-XK-05-10-/321641549952?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Jeep|Model:Commander&hash=item4ae3549080&vxp=mtr

I'd just run OME springs front and rear and delete your RC lift altogether if I were in your situation I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts