Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have an 08 4.7L 2wd. I have the Rough Country lift now. I want to go taller. Since mine is the 2wd and I dont have to worry about the CV axel. I have spent a few hours taking things apart and calculating travel distance and possible mods. I was thinking I have enough clearance to add about two more inches. Now I know if I go any higher than 3 inches I have to get some modified UCA. This is what I was thinking. Add in Rustys 2" coil spring and JBA modified UCA to the existing rough country kit. DO you think I will have any issues. Secondly I see Rusty has extended shocks for the rear. I was wondering if anyone knew of a longer shock that I can use or is Rusty's good quality?

Let me know if there is anything else you can think of I might need an extended length of.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Don't waste your time double lifting your commander. Kyle (not sure of his an here) has a 2wd commander like you and double lifted it. He took the second lift off a few weeks later. Just because you don't have cv's doesn't mean your not going to have other issues. Hell screw cv's anyways. There a dime a dozen! What you going to destroy is your steering rack which cost $900 + dollars just for the rack and I'm sure you can't install it your self so plan on several more hundred for install. Get a Superlift if you want to go bigger! Period

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't waste your time double lifting your commander. Kyle (not sure of his an here) has a 2wd commander like you and double lifted it. He took the second lift off a few weeks later. Just because you don't have cv's doesn't mean your not going to have other issues. Hell screw cv's anyways. There a dime a dozen! What you going to destroy is your steering rack which cost $900 + dollars just for the rack and I'm sure you can't install it your self so plan on several more hundred for install. Get a Superlift if you want to go bigger! Period
I was trying to be nice and let this go but I want to put this out there. I was asking a simple question looking for ideas/ check list from peoples own mishaps, I was not asking for your 2cents. I don't care what you think I know or don't know. For the last 15 years I have been a whole sale parts distributer. I sell to all the major retailers in the western United States. So don't tell me what it is going to cost me and if I do or do not know how to do something. I am going to stack lifts against your better judgment. I have a shop at home where I can fabricate just about anything with my mechanical engineering degree from Georgia Tech. I’ve already made 3/4 of the parts I’m going to need.

Secondly if the "$900" rack is what you are worried about. Take it to a shop that rebuilds them for about $200 and break it about 4.5 more times and then you can get another. A good shop will always do better work than a mass produced item. I rebuilt a rack in my hunting truck over 100K ago and it’s still going strong.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Adam wasn't meaning any harm at all! But the thing is, why would you post here if you make all your parts and aren't worried about rebuilding the steering rack? What is your question? He is absolutely right. I am 2wd, I double stacked. Had 2" ome springs and struts with the rough country spacer above it. I had RRO uca's and my steering knuckle contacted the spring while sitting on the ground. That was with a coil cut off the front spring. I would advise against it and just go with superlift. I just ordered mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not a matter of making my own parts. I can modify and adapt if I know what people have run into. Versus me makeing the part and running into an issue someone has already had. I can eliminate reworking things if I already know of the flaws. Thats all I am asking. My goal is to produce a 3-5" lift for people to buy thats cheaper than the only thing out there in the superlift.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I was trying to be nice and let this go but I want to put this out there. I was asking a simple question looking for ideas/ check list from peoples own mishaps, I was not asking for your 2cents. I don't care what you think I know or don't know. For the last 15 years I have been a whole sale parts distributer. I sell to all the major retailers in the western United States. So don't tell me what it is going to cost me and if I do or do not know how to do something. I am going to stack lifts against your better judgment. I have a shop at home where I can fabricate just about anything with my mechanical engineering degree from Georgia Tech. I’ve already made 3/4 of the parts I’m going to need.

Secondly if the "$900" rack is what you are worried about. Take it to a shop that rebuilds them for about $200 and break it about 4.5 more times and then you can get another. A good shop will always do better work than a mass produced item. I rebuilt a rack in my hunting truck over 100K ago and it’s still going strong.
I've been on this forum for over 6 years now and have owned my Commander longer than that. I was being nice by my post but obviously you know more about our jeeps then I do. And if you weren't asking for my 2 cents then why would you post on here because everyone will tell you the same thing I told you. You have been warned about double stacking lifts without having the proper drop down brackets up front that are provided with the 4 inch lift along with the longer steering knuckles. Your mechanical engineering degree from Georgia tech means nothing to me. You are clueless my friend.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I dont have an engineering degree from georgia tech... but I agree with adam.

Double stacking = bad
4-5" lift requires superlift to get necessary drop brackets and knuckles.

Good luck though

Edit: you can run up to 3" though... as long as you don't mind doing your own maintenance. For someone who has to pay shop labor id stay closer to 2"

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
...and good luck rebuilding your steering rack because they don't make rebuild kits that provide the parts needed that are going to fail from being double lifted. But again you knew that already because you know more about our jeeps than I do.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Its not a matter of making my own parts. I can modify and adapt if I know what people have run into. Versus me makeing the part and running into an issue someone has already had. I can eliminate reworking things if I already know of the flaws. Thats all I am asking. My goal is to produce a 3-5" lift for people to buy thats cheaper than the only thing out there in the superlift.
The problem is that it IS a matter of making your own parts. In order to correct all the geometry issues in the front, the superlift uses diff drop brackets, a crossmember drop, and custom spindles. I imagine all of these could be made except the spindles. It would take a lot of time to engineer a set from scratch and manufacture, but hey, more power to ya.

I now realize you may have been somewhat offended by our responses, but the truth is, we have seen way to many attempts and failures at a double stacked lift and we are just lookin' out for ya. Hell, some of the people who tried were engineers aswell. The bottom line is that without the Superlift, its not going to last long.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Amen boy's.
Superlift is the only way to go . That's the main reason why I went with it to correct the steering angles. The steering knuckles are worth every penny. They are cast steel instead of the cast aluminum stock knuckles, a work of art. Not to mention what goes into the rear, all that goes into relocating the track arm brackets , sway arm, new springs , shocks etc. also the skid plate for us that take them off road. Worth every penny for this kit. For those out there thinking of the same I always say do it right or don't do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts