Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research about lifting my Commander and just want some verification before I proceed. I think the RR 2.5" kit will work for what I need, which is for a daily driver and the occasional trip to the deer lease. Mainly the lift and bigger tires will be for looks.

So what I've come up with is this: I'll be putting 265/70/17's on it and in order to do that I'll need 2" spacers in addition to the lift and trim the fender wells and do the pinch mod, correct?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I lifted mine 2.5 inches in the front and 2 inch in the rear and I went with 25575R17 Firestone destination a/t and I only required 1/4 inch spacers. No pinch weld mod required. I'm not sure what you'll need for the 26570r17. I would highly suggest going this route to save from doing those mods.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Read up on what the tire size specs really mean, none of them tell you the overall diameter of the tire or width of the tread, and it will vary with the width of the rim and tire pressure. You can calculate overall tire diameter from the numbers, but it will only be close and will vary for things like tread depth, etc.

What it comes down to, the overall dimensions of tires vary from model to model, so do NOT assume if one size of a certain model of a tire just barely fits, that the same size in another model tire will fit as well. Those overall dimensions vary a small amount and don't make much of a difference except in cases of fitting oversized tires with barely any clearance.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've been doing some research about lifting my Commander and just want some verification before I proceed. I think the RR 2.5" kit will work for what I need, which is for a daily driver and the occasional trip to the deer lease. Mainly the lift and bigger tires will be for looks.

So what I've come up with is this: I'll be putting 265/70/17's on it and in order to do that I'll need 2" spacers in addition to the lift and trim the fender wells and do the pinch mod, correct?
Small spacers in the front will allow you to clear the UCA bolt. Or you could just trim the end of the bolt instead. Pinchweld mod may or may not be necessary. It was for me, but I am on a smaller lift with taller tires.

Sounds like you have it figured out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good Billy, that's the look I'm going for. Cool front license plate too by the way. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Looks good Billy, that's the look I'm going for. Cool front license plate too by the way. Thanks for the help guys.
Do you plan to replace your rear shocks? Longer rear shocks are a good idea, and yours are likely on their last leg anyways.

For fun Here is my before and after on 255/70r18's now

·
Registered
143 Posts
I too would recommend doing new shocks. I went with skyjacker that were designed for the commander with a minimum 2" lift. They really helped with the sag

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Probably well worth doing, while you have the stuff apart anyway. If your like mine with 97k on the odometer and likely still the original shocks, its time for new ones anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the RR lift, I also put on the 3/8" strut spacer on the front. I also put new Bilstien shocks and struts. I have 265/70/17 tires on 17x9 +18 wheels, no rubbing what so ever, no pinch weld mod done. Rides better than stock.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts