Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so here is what I am dealing with trying to figure out, and I need help. I would like to replace my failed RR spacers on the rear springs. I want to replace them with the Old Man Emu heavy duty springs. The RR lift is supposed to be a 2.25" lift and the OME is supposed to be a 2" lift. I was told by Rocky Road Outfitters that the Old Man Emu lift only adds about 1". Here is where you all come in to help me out. I had not taken any measurements of my XK before the lift and after to tell what the actual achieved lift was from the RR kit. I could measure it now but the larger tires I have will make it harder to get an accurate number. Does anyone know or have the ability to check and see how much lift they gained by adding the RR lift kit (not including tire size increase)? Also does anyone know the actual lift gained by adding the Old Man Emu lift (not including tire size increase)? If anyone can give me the real world numbers on these lifts so I can figure out if I need a spacer with the new springs or not and if so how much of a spacer. Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I dont know if this will help you out but ill try. I got the BDS 2 inch suspension lift that utilizes a 1 1/2 spacer for the rear end. Obviously since its a 1 1/2 inch spacer i got an additional 1 1/2 inches of lift in the rear. When we went on the GWNF trip I had parked next to ROMEO who had just installed in OME suspension Lift and his truck seemed to tower over mine. It was noticably higher then my commander. Both of us were still using stock tires, the only difference being the brand lift we used. So I dont see how those springs could only add 1 inch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ada-I put Bilstein shocks and RR lift on first, replaced the RR lift with OME springs all around and gained about an inch, according to my wife and mechanic. No real measurements were made but the springs added a little more than RR.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ada-I put Bilstein shocks and RR lift on first, replaced the RR lift with OME springs all around and gained about an inch, according to my wife and mechanic. No real measurements were made but the springs added a little more than RR.
Thanks you, It seemed to me that the OME lift was more than the RR having seen one and the other in person but RR has put a doubt in my head. Did you use the OME heavy duty or medium duty springs?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I put the OME coils (medium weight) with stock shocks, initialy I got more than 2" in the front but after some days it settled down at 2" in the front and less than 2" in the rear (around 1.4") because the coils were designed for the Grand Cherokee weight and the Commander is heavier in the rear.

I remember that Romeo told me that he got more than 2" with OME lift as you put the heavy duty coils

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the OME993 rear springs today, I will keep you updated on status and post pics once they are here and installed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
JUst the rear springs? What about the front mon ami (my friend)?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JUst the rear springs? What about the front mon ami (my friend)?
I do like the OME front setup but I am happy with the RR spacers that are on there now. And its like the old saying goes, If it isn't broken (yet) then don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it has all been worked out and I now have my OME rear springs ready to install. I will be taking out the RR spacers and putting in the OME springs to replace them. The RR spacers have started to fail but are not completely gone so I am going to take some pics and take a few dimensions of the ride height before and after the swap to see if there is a difference and how much. I will keep you all informed of the progress.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK so I was feeling a little energetic tonight and did the rear springs and Belly Guard skid plate. The skid plate took longer than the springs.

Here is the comparison of the OEM vs OME springs
HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY<------->wimpy wimpy wimpy

The RR spacers had started to break apart and were very brittle when I removed them. The new springs added about 1/4 - 1/2 inches to the rear that is about where it was when the RR lift was first put on.
Before:

After:

The swap was EASY!!! And took only about 1 hour to complete. I did not even remove the tires. I don't know why RR or OME do not suggest using a forklift for the lift install but it sure made things easy. All I did was remove the upper shock bolt, unhook the rear swaybar disconnects, and unbolt the brake line bracket. Then by lifting the tire opposite the side I was working on, the spring just fell out and back in without removing the upper control arm.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't worry safety was one of my concerns (not necessarily #1) so I secured the tire to the "jack". And then just repeated the same setup for the opposite side.

Here are the spacers that were removed. You can see they started to rip around the lip and I found them to be extremely hard and very brittle when I removed them.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing I forgot to mention about the structural sound-ness of the XK. When the axle was at full tilt up on the forklift I was able to open the rear liftgate and close it agian with out any issue. That to me says something for the way it is built.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts