Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our first XK (now mine) was originally lifted with the RR 2.25". My wife and I liked the Commander enough that when the time came to sell my old YJ, I took over the '06 XK and we got her an '08 Overland. At the time, the deals were so good, the '08 ended up being less expensive to buy than the '06. I then ditched the RR kit and had the 4" Superlift installed. Since day one with the '08, my wife has wanted to lift it up a little, but I wanted to wait until the factory tires were toast. That moment came Monday when I took her XK into my dealership for the BDS 2" kit install and new 265/60-18 Firestone Destination A/T's. My dealer (love them - Go West Chrysler-Jeep) charged me $177 a tire and $400 for the lift install. THat part might have been a bit steep, but they've cut me several breaks in the past, so I had no problem with it. Essentially, at $85/hr for accessory installation, they spent not quite 5 hours for the lift. I think that's reasonable. Anyway - this is starting to be a familiar setup on this forum, but I sure like how it looks over the stock setup. Drives nice, too, with no rubbing. I had purchased spacers just in case the new tires didn't fit with the balljoint bolt. There's less than 1/4" between the tire and balljoint bolt, but they fit without spacers which in the case of my wife's daily driver, is my preference.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Looks awsome! Good choice on the BDS spacer lift.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like BDS. I had a 3.5" BDS lift on my '91 YJ that performed great. So with the steel spacers for the rear of the XK, it was kind of a no-brainer. I still have the RR lift sitting on a shelf in my garage, without the rear shocks. That lift was only on my rig for 8 months before I put the superlift on and in that time one of the RR shocks puked all its oil. Fantastic product. If anyone wants the RR lift (front steel spacers, rear poly spacers - one appears to be starting to split, various nuts/bolts) you can have it for free and I'll ship it COD. Any takers?

Didn't think so :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I really like BDS. I had a 3.5" BDS lift on my '91 YJ that performed great. So with the steel spacers for the rear of the XK, it was kind of a no-brainer. I still have the RR lift sitting on a shelf in my garage, without the rear shocks. That lift was only on my rig for 8 months before I put the superlift on and in that time one of the RR shocks puked all its oil. Fantastic product. If anyone wants the RR lift (front steel spacers, rear poly spacers - one appears to be starting to split, various nuts/bolts) you can have it for free and I'll ship it COD. Any takers?

Didn't think so :)
A lot of people steer away from the BDS spacer lift since the strut needs to be disassembled using a spring compressor to install the front spacers. That wasnt a big deal to me as I was able to use the auto skills shop on Fort Meade to do the install. Im not sure what your plans are for the 08 XK but if off roading is in its future id suggest upgrading the stock struts/shocks. I have had my spacer lift installed for a year now and they are completely shot and have been that way for a few months now. However I probablly off road more then anyone else on the forum which is a lot of abuse on OEM parts.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carb - sorry, I have not checked in for a while. My wife still has that XK, it's had the lift on now for about 80K and we've had zero issues with it. Her rig is not off roaded and we still have the original struts/shocks on it and with a total of 110K on the Jeep, they need to be replaced. At the time of the larger tires, I did not upgrade the spare, it's still the factory full-size. That is a concern and in all this time, we've not had to use it. I don't have any side shots of it, but that lift/tire combo is quite common for the XK, I bet you can find something very similar on this forum.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
Carb - sorry, I have not checked in for a while. My wife still has that XK, it's had the lift on now for about 80K and we've had zero issues with it. Her rig is not off roaded and we still have the original struts/shocks on it and with a total of 110K on the Jeep, they need to be replaced. At the time of the larger tires, I did not upgrade the spare, it's still the factory full-size. That is a concern and in all this time, we've not had to use it. I don't have any side shots of it, but that lift/tire combo is quite common for the XK, I bet you can find something very similar on this forum.
You really need to get a same size spare. Do NOT use the OEM size with the larger tires because it will screw up your transfer case. See this thread:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8771&page=7

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Maliha - this XK is a 2008 Overland. The only modifications are the 2" BDS budget boost and larger tires. It still has the 265/60-18's on it, but we've switched from the Firestone Destination AT's to the BFG Rugged Trails, which seem to wear better but are about the same in the snow. Other than a bug shield added by the dealer before we bought it, there are no modifications. Even the rear shocks are still factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts