Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice today my alarm has gone off for no apparent reason. When I check the instrument panel it says "Liftgate Open". The liftgate is NOT open. I made sure after the first time and it said it again the second time. Anybody else have this happen ? Ideas ?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Faulty switch maybe? I have not had it happen, but thats all I can think of unless something is wrong with the computer.:(

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking but why would it wait 3 hours to go off again ?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It could just be that something within the switch is sticking and tripping later, but that wouldn't make much sense if you are not opening and closing the gate.

Otherwise, a sensor related to the switch, or something with the computer. Heck, maybe a loose wire or something grounding out. I am going to just suggest that it's gnomes.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Did this start happening after you last used the liftgate?

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
BigPoppaJNutZ said:
Did this start happening after you last used the liftgate?
No. It happened this morning after it had been sitting all night. I did not use the liftgate yesterday.

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Any chance it is real windy and rattling the rear glass or hatch?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
do you know where your spare key is? Is it secure and not pushing on anything?

My wifes friend had a problem with her alarm going off at times while driving down the road....newer Corvette with keyless ignition.....she finally took it to a dealer. When they were done, they asked if she knew where her spare was...she commented she had lost it.

Then they told her they found it under a mat and when she accelerated, the alarm went off. That fixed it!!

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a49erFan said:
Any chance it is real windy and rattling the rear glass or hatch?
..........Nope.........

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cico7 said:
do you know where your spare key is? Is it secure and not pushing on anything?

My wifes friend had a problem with her alarm going off at times while driving down the road....newer Corvette with keyless ignition.....she finally took it to a dealer. When they were done, they asked if she knew where her spare was...she commented she had lost it.

Then they told her they found it under a mat and when she accelerated, the alarm went off. That fixed it!!
It is not my spare.

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think I may have found the problem in this TSB. I will wait and see if it happens again before I take it to the dealer. a49erFan, can you edit the title to "Liftgate Ajar Warning" ?

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
jeep5253 said:
a49erFan, can you edit the title to "Liftgate Ajar Warning" ?
Consider it done!

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Liftgate Open" Annunciator Light On

Just a quick post to tell all of a problem I just resolved.

The alarm went off this morning on our commander for no apparent reason. When I looked through the window, I noticed the "Liftgate Open" indicator was on. I checked the liftgate a few times and couldn't put the indication out. It has been cold here in Chicago and I had washed the car the other day when the temperature was below freezing. I figured the switch might have some moisture (frost) inside due to the washing. I put the blow dryer to the switch for a few minutes and it now works like new.

For those that don't know, the liftgate position switch is located integrally with the latch.

Hope this helps someone else out that might come across the same senario.

Jerry

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to follow-up, I did not do anything to it and it has not happened since (07/24/08).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good tip! I see you had the identical problem back in 2006. I'll swap those leads because I know it will happen again. Without looking, I would say there is one lead right up against metal (ground) and a little moisture will help to complete the circuit. That might be why the hair-dryer bought me a little time; although, I would expect a return of the problem.

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lookout ! Thread merge !:bowdown:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue, and I have noticed that I have a small amount of water coming in through the license plate mount. Does anyone know if I can perform a quick fix with silicone jell?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts