Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just bought my 2010 Commander Limited 3 weeks ago and love it. I want to replace the brackets (FSM calls them ballstud brackets) that mount to the rear liftgate glass. These are the brackets that hold the gas strut on the window side. The powdercoating on mine are gone and it looks a little ratty.

I have the FSM on disk and in the entire Liftgate section there is no mention of the torque for the nut that holds the bracket. When I emailed Jeep about it, they suggested I visit the dealer. Guess he can look at the same FSM and not find it either? As this is the one that goes through the glass I want to be careful. I can't imagine there not being a torque spec for this.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'm going to guess the rear glass is single serviced item only. i.e. you replace the entire piece of glass only, NOT repair anything attached to it.

I'd have to look at my attachements to the rear glass on my Commander, it didn't look like any of the attachments were easily removed, like unbolting them, perhaps I'm wrong and need to look at it again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mongo, but i it is serviciable. there is the outer piece that seals the glass which has a threaded stud on it. On the inside, the bracket goes over the stud and then a nut brings everything together. I already have the parts as well.

I guess I could do it the old fashioned way and just count number of turns on the nut to remove and install the same way. Just odd that they would not list a torque value for this, but there is one for the hinge assembly.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Put a little thread lock on it and tighten it down to just past snug. If anything I would worry about overtorqueing and stripping something that small.

If you're determined to use a torque wrench, look up the standard torques off the size of the nut/stud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts