Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen some stuff on revtek . it consists of 2"" in the front and 1 1/2" rear.and have looked at what everyone else has done. i would imagine the coils are the same and i would like to go bigger if possible. i miss my yj and would like to be up a little more than stock.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
There are several 2.25 & 2.5 lifts for the Commander, Check out the Suspension category for specifics on each one.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
eugene the jeep said:
cool . i was just curious about the difference in the 2 wheel drive.
As far as the lift is concerned there is no difference. These are all really a body lift so they can be done on 2 wheel and 4 wheel in the same exact way.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
a49erFan said:
As far as the lift is concerned there is no difference. These are all really a body lift so they can be done on 2 wheel and 4 wheel in the same exact way.
Actually these are a suspension lift. You cannot do a body lift on a unibody, which is what the Commander has.

·
Registered
228 Posts
actually... your lifting the body, and not putting in taller suspension. I'd say its a body lift. Body goes up, and suspension stays the same.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when u lift the 4 wheel drive anything over2" or 2.5" do u need to change spindles or lower arms. for alignment reasons? i worked in a shop lifting trucks and jeeps but we did not come across any commanders. the closest is the fj-40 which consisted of the same thing with the coil spacers. however they had more room for tire clearance.

·
2,248 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx for the av. i have a friend that want's to airbrush eugene on it. although i'm not sure how i want to do it yet. i'm still trying to see if i can get the plates for it. if i wash it tommorow i'll try to put up some stock pics, minus the things i took off the day i got home.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
jeep5253 said:
It's called a suspension lift.
Tomato Tamato, they can call it anything they want, but the fact is that the body moves not the suspension and it will work on two or four wheel drives.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
From YOUR links:
Suspension lift kits are a system of springs used to raise a vehicle by suspending the frame, body, engine and power train above the wheels. Body lift kits are a system of blocks used to raise a vehicle by suspending the body above the frame.
Most of all of our lifts use blocks or spacers not a system of springs to raise the body. I see where you are coming from as we suspend the body above the wheels but it is not a true suspension lift so I guess it could be considered somewhere in the middle. JMHO

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE "Body above the frame"

We are not moving the body away from the frame

I was always under the impression that body lifts created more space between the body(ie tub or fenders or etc) and the frame rails

These lifts lift the frame higher and the distance between the frame and body stay the same

true these are unibodies and there are no frames but if it had a frame you would call it a suspension lift

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ooooh,
Good morning all. Tough croud here today.

Anyways, a body lift is a procedure where spacers are installed between the body/frame mounts, generally to allow for larger tires without having to modify the suspension. Often, the steering shaft and shift linkages and anything else that interacts between body and frame may require repositioning to work correctly.
Again, I repeat, the suspension is in no way altered to perform a body lift.

A suspension lift obviously will result in the body being at a new height as well, but this time the axle mounting points have not changed relative to body position or in extreme cases [4" or more] the actual mounting points are indeed changed.

So, in summation, a body lift allows bigger tires without any suspension changes.
Since our vehicles are unitized [think of the entire vehicle as nothing more than a frame with windows] we must modify our suspension to achieve similar results. Often we also have to modify our wheel positioning [spacers] and wheel housings, to provide the clearance that naturally occurs when a body is raised away from the frame on a non-unit vehicle.

........Good Lawd, I hope I helped,
............Rob

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Thanks robby & Jeep5253, I'll concede, technically it is a suspension lift. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow. to see all the bickering. ha ha. it is suspension, and personally i would never put a body lift on anything i own. not only does it look tacky ,but you get into having to change to many things that are located where they work. such as shifting linkages wiring, steering so on and on and on. not to mention that nice little gap between the body and frame you look through to see the other side. i do think i decided on the bds kit today though. i'm gonna give it a shot and see if it's what i want. any feed back let me know. wow that's a lot of typing with a broken hand. time to ice down ha ha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts