Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am curious if the 4" lift will be the only size lift they will be offering? I would like maybe just a 2" lift. I think the 4" lift might be a bit much for my needs as I simply want the higher stance, not additional ground clearance. My Cherokee is my off-roader and I don't plan to use my Commander for too much off-roading.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would be afraid to lift mine after the problems I had with my rubicon, I had a RE 3.5 lift and had problems with the front axle seal leaking, they replaced two seals, and it still leaked. then they replaced an axle and seal, then they screwed up two carriers installing the axle (dont ask me how) big hammer I guess. Then they installed a whole new front axle assembly. Then DC 'voided' my warranty. The sad part is they still did not fix the problem (which turned out to be a front U-Joint) a 9$ part and the dealer threw about 5-6 K worth of parts at it.

I plan on buying a used TJ and use it on the trail and use the commander as a tow rig.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That lift does look rad. Maybe a couple reviews will come out to let us know how it works out for everybody. BTW... a U-Joint made your front seal leak?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Long Story..

No.. the right axle seal was leaking the day I got it.. Took it back in the replaced it.

It started leaking again. They replaced it again.

It started leaking again.

They said the axle must be bad, they replaced the axle and seal.

Then they said they messed up the carrier..

They replaced it.. said it still did not fix it.. they ordered another carrier.

Still not fixed.

Then the replaced the whole front axle assembly

They voided my warranty.. jeep is now making noise from the front.. but they wont fix because no warranty..

I fix it my self (u-joint) actually they did not have it seated properly in the yoke..

Then the axle seal starts leaking (again)

I called DC and emailed them everyday, this was useless. The DM flaged my vin and stated my jeep was 'severely modified' It only had a 3 inch RE lift and Tom Woods CV DS because of the lift.

I give up and trade it for a commander.. :) now I need to find a used TJ for the trails.. I am not putting a wrench on this new one..

Slomar said:
That lift does look rad. Maybe a couple reviews will come out to let us know how it works out for everybody. BTW... a U-Joint made your front seal leak?

·
Registered
24 Posts
wow! My old 76 F250 has a front seal leak (Right). I think I'm gonna check out the u-joints again. At least the good side is that you got a new Commander!

·
Registered
124 Posts
You had a lemon before they voided you. Emails don't help. If the car is gone, it is too late, but if not I know people who will do what is right. That does not mean you get a new car. It just means that the local rep does not choose your outcome.
Either way, glad you stayed with Jeep. I was not planning on modding mine, either, but I could not help myself. I just have to get this thing off road!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have developed a 2.5" lift for the Commander. Testing on taller lifts suggests that boots and CV joint will suffer damage on lifts taller than 2.5". Be careful you don't become some shop's ginuea pig on taller lifts in that 4" range. There will be front CV trouble unless the whole front differential is lowered. Any questions on this... feel free to contact us direct.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm interested in a small lift. Where can i get details??

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wonder what kind of effect any of these lifts would have on the computer controlled suspension safety features like the Electronic Stability Program with Electronic Roll Mitigation. You know these featured had to be developed & installed to work with stock suspension in mind, maybe not with a 2, 3 or 4 inch lift with upgraded suspension components...who knows what effect it might have on ESP w/ERM?? Would definately be nice to know. This definately IS NOT your father's Jeep.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
That would be my worry too. A lift kit may work on a Wrangler or a Cherokee that doesn't have all the stability controls, etc. I would be concerned about the computer calculating something wrong and would flip the vehicle instead of keeping it stable.

This is why I wish Jeep would offer an air suspension as an option on the upper trim levels of the Commander and the Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I posted this in another "lift" thread.

FWIW..

I asked Rocky Road if their lift kits adversley effect any of the computer controlled Stability control and/or Roll mitigation functions.
I do know that their kits do not void the factory warranty, but that doesnt mean it doesnt effect the computers functions.
They sent me the following response.

"Not that we know of. We do sell the kit to some local dealers that
install them before the vehicles are sold new. I imagine that they
would have told us if there were problems with the computer."

To me thats not enough to convince me that the stability functions will work as they were intended. Dealerships will do anything to sell cars.( This kit does make the Cmmander look great, which is a selling factor) The fact that the warranty is not voided is enough for dealerships to sell the Commanders with a lift kit installed. They could care less about the functions on the vehicle.
Sure, some buyers/owners may not care about these features.
But I'd like to make sure the safety features that I paid for work properly. As much as I would love to put a slight lift on this thing, Personally, I need more conformation on how if effects the vehicle's features. I wish there were some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts