Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm looking for a light bar that will attach seamlessly with my roof rack, so far i've only seen the MOPAR version, which is really overpriced. Any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same. I just talked to 4 Wheel Parts and they have a light bar w/ 7 tabs for $105 in black. Can also get silver but not sure if that costs more. Cost does not include the lights. The trick will be getting the wire through the roof and no leaks. I think there is a thread that covers that within the forum.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
My Driving Lights
This link goes to my garage post showing how I made my driving lights.
I bought a crossbeam for the roof rails, mounted the lights on it and ran it to
the engine compartment to the relay. Relay to a switch in the cab. It is removeable and easily stored.

I have about 60 in the bar and $80 a pair for the lights. Not attached to my rack. That makes it easier to handle, put up and down seperately.

·
Registered
195 Posts
How did you run the wiring? Where does the bar disconnect? Great idea to use a standard cross bar! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
How did you run the wiring? Where does the bar disconnect? Great idea to use a standard cross bar! Thanks!
The bar disconnect? I unscrew the knob at the top and the bar comes off.
Or were you talking about the wires? I use a molex type connector and connect the wires in the channel.

The crossbar is hollow. Ran a wire from the light to the end of the bar.
14g. I did not use the wire that came with the lights. Eagle eye 150w.
I removed the wire pigtail that came with the light and ran 2 wires per light to the end where I connected them together. If you leave the pig tail on the light, if something happens, you have another wire to worry about.

From the channel, I ran 12g wire to the relay under the hood. I used 3 wires. 1 ground and 2 hot. Under the end cap on the rail, pull it off. I drilled a hole and ran the wire down the pillar, thru the firewall, under the hood to the relay. I ran a wire back to the light switch in the cabin.

I don't like using a trailer wire plug for the connection, it is a lighter guage wire, about 16 maybe 18 guage. I THINK, that is the weak link. Others may be wrong. :SM127:

I have 2 KC daylighters and 2 EagleEye Lights. They use the exact same bulb. The Eagle Eye lights cost less.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah I was referring to where you disconnect the wiring. Again great idea...thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks strokeZ and cico7, all helpful information i appreciate it!

·
Registered
195 Posts
giggles228 - I looked at this closer and the bar I found appears to be a gutter mount only. I think Cico7 has the best solution if you want to use the existing rack and don't want a roof rack.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
giggles228 - I looked at this closer and the bar I found appears to be a gutter mount only. I think Cico7 has the best solution if you want to use the existing rack and don't want a roof rack.
Buy another pair of racks and split them with someone.
That is what I did. The light bar sits in front of the tie down point in front.
Romeo has done the same thing. We both still have roof racks.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I like this idea. With my lights mounted on my roof rack, I'm kinda stuck that way. With them mounted on a cross bar, you can use them with or without the roof rack which equals more options.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Has anyone thought of this idea?

I'm sure it would need some modifications but, it's possible.?.?.?

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Who's idea was this ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
LMAO! You guys are funny. Do you not see the pic below "This" idea?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts