Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 49,500 miles on the original Fortera's that came on my 2007 XK Hemi with QD II. I'm looking for new tires. I'm considering the GY Wrangler Silent Armors. I live in Michigan and like to go north to the cabin in the winter (5 miles of dirt/sand road with about half of it not plowed. I'm going to put on a 2inch lift (buying GetLost's used lift). Am thinking that the 255 70 17's and the lift would keep me rolling in high snow (unlike last winter).

So....those of you who have GY Wrangler SA's...do you like 'em? I see bad and good reviews on Tire Rack.

P.S. I'm also planning on Spyder Trax 1.5 in spacers.

Advice/feedback? Thanks.....Jerry

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have had them since March of this year and have absolutely no complaints about them. I've been offroading in the mud/water/rocks/dirt and they performed great. They also perform outstanding on dry/wet paved highways. I am also running 255/70/17s.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I have them, they're great in both dry & wet. They'll ride rougher than the stock tires due to their design, but they'll wear better. Mine ride rougher than normal, so I need to get a road-force balance.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CrzyCajun and RWMorrison, appreciate the feedback. What is roadforce balancing? Is that different than spin balance? I plan on buying at Discount. Do they do roadforce balance? ...Jerry

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
No problem. I bought my set from treadepot.com. They were offering free shipping at the time that I bought them, but are not currently offering this.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
for you guys with the silent armor tires, Do you deflate the tire when offroading? how flexible it is when deflating to 15 psi? will it increase the contact surface in a good amount? as some tires have strong sidewalls which makes them a bit rigid when deflating them.

I'm asking because I'm thinking about the same tire too and as you know I drive in sand very much and every time I deflate to 15 and the tires should be some how soft to get big contact surface.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Ahmed, I deflate for comfort reasons, it gives a smoother ride for the trails in my area. I usually go down to ~20 psi, it helps.

GP, road force balancing is a balancing process that uses a drum to simulate road surface forces on the tire while balancing it. It gives a very accurate balance for a smooth ride. Its usually used on sports cars but can be used on any vehicle to smooth out the ride. Here's a link to some good info on the process: http://www.basstire.com/roadforce/index.html

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, thanks RWMorrisonJr. I checked out that site about Road Force Balancing...quite informative.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have had my Silent Armors for roughly 30,000 miles, and I think they're great! I still have plenty of tread left. Actually, I was running these on my previous truck, and when I bought the Jeep I had them transferred over since they are the same size. I am running stock size, by the way. I've only had them out once in anything that by Michigan standards would qualify as decent snow on a trip to Lake Placid last season. They did very well. They have the snowflake rating on the sidewall. I bet you'll be happy with them, especially on that road to the cabin.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
ahmed, i deflate for comfort reasons, it gives a smoother ride for the trails in my area. I usually go down to ~20 psi, it helps.
x2.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts