Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mod I'd like to do to the Limited Fender Flares.

I'd like to take out the 'fake bolt' rivets and replace them with REAL stainless steel cap screws.

For anyone who has removed thier flares, does this seem like an easy mod?

I'm thinking where the rivets attach I could just put rivnuts?

What do you think?

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
The "rivets" are part of the fender flare--they are are not a separate part.

EDIT: Oops, I miss-spoke. I went out and looked at mine and apparently they do pop off. But I didn't take it off to see what is behind it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the rivert are moulded in one piece with the flare and painted chrome? ...

Or are they made as a separate part that I could remove by carefully drilling etc.?

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
Yeggster said:
So the rivert are moulded in one piece with the flare and painted chrome? ...
That is what I initially thought. But I went out just now to look.
It looks to me as if they will pop off. I could wedge a small screwdriver behind it.

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
What about these ? You can get them on ebay.

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
More screw covers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
A suggestion...

If you're not keen on the 'Allen-bolts' on the fender flares, perhaps you could swap the existing flares for the 'Sport' model, which I believe are 'bolt-less' ?

I'm presuming these parts are interchangeable between similar model years, but best check with your Jeep dealer first. I'm definitely going to look into when it I order my Limited in June.

I'll also be looking to change to the Sport 'Aluminium' finish on the interior console/doors (instead of the standard 'Wood').

Has anyone else done either of these 'swaps'...?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A suggestion...

If you're not keen on the 'Allen-bolts' on the fender flares, perhaps you could swap the existing flares for the 'Sport' model, which I believe are 'bolt-less' ?

I'm presuming these parts are interchangeable between similar model years,
I'm pretty sure the Sport ones are underneath the Limited Flares ... by that I mean that's what the sheet metal looks like ... unless I'm missing something obvious or something on the later modles?

The wood to brushed aluminum might be an idea ... it's not too bad in the Jeep but generaly fake wood panles always look a little ... umm ... well just like fake wood pannels :)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The fake bolts can easily be removed and put back again ,, they are designed to be removed for painting the fender flare. I did it when I had to paint the flares one time.

Also the new fender flares come with the bolts in a bag (not installed), I once bought one.

And its really a good idea,, looking forward to see how it looks

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Sport ones are underneath the Limited Flares
No, the Sport model fender flares are not underneath the Limited model fender flares.

Here is what a sport looks like without the fender flares.

Here is what the Limited looks like without the fender flares. Same as the Sport.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I replaced my standard flares with limited flares. You have to buy all 6 pieces: 2 front fenders, 2 rear fenders, 2 rear doors (they come black). You have to buy all the retainers (there are 3 types on each flare). I paid $1,295.77 for the flares and the retainers. The chrome allen bolts are actually plastic. They are two pieces. One is white plastic you push into the hole, the other is the "chrome" bolt you push into the first one - held in by friction. It cost $730.27 to have the flares painted and installed which included removing the existing flares, which entails ruining the retainers. I had left over retainers for credit so the chrome allen bolts were $78.11. I traded in a 2003 Liberty Renegade for my Commander. The Renegade had these exposed Allen head flares, so it was the only thing missing when I made the trade. $2,000. is a lot of money, but it was worth it to me - it makes the Jeep a Jeep.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 08 limited did not come with these flares.. what gives? I wish I had them.

I thought it was because I have a 2WD, but i saw another 4WD limited today that didn't have them either..

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I think they became an option in 2007 and on.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the Sport model fender flares are not underneath the Limited model fender flares.

Here is what a sport looks like without the fender flares.

Here is what the Limited looks like without the fender flares. Same as the Sport.
DOH!! .. thanks! ..all I had to was think a bit ... I remember seeing pics of both modles with the flares removed before

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fake bolts can easily be removed and put back again ,, they are designed to be removed for painting the fender flare. I did it when I had to paint the flares one time.

Also the new fender flares come with the bolts in a bag (not installed), I once bought one.

And its really a good idea,, looking forward to see how it looks

Now that my flat tire episode wrecked the inner finder liner ... I'll have a chance to look at the allen bolt mod ... while I'm putting a new liner back in :)

Now if winter would just end! ... (we got another 6" of snow down in the last two days)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Gee, I have a sport and I was looking at swapping to the flares with the exposed bolt look. Maybe there is someone in or near Houston that wants to swap to fender flares without the exposed bolt look, so we could schedule a day to do the swap (best if you have a black Commander)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts