Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 XK Limited has the QDII with Electronic Limited Slip Diff (ELSD). Only had it about one month now and I am trying to understand if it is operating correctly or not. I have owned multiple Jeeps before with true lockers (ARB, etc) as well as a Grand Cherokee with the QDII and Vari-Lock diff's so I understand lockers and what they feel like in different situations. However, my XK ELSD is not acting like I would expect.
When I first got my XK, the clutch plates in the front diff would chatter a lot when making a sharp turn on dry surfaces when I first started driving it each day or after it had sat for awhile during the day. Once it had warmed up, there was significantly less chatter on a sharp turn and no feedback in normal street driving. I had no info on what the PO had done to service the diff's so I did not know how many miles were on the fluid nor if he had added any of the added lubricant that should be used in this type of diff. I suspected that the chatter was due lack of the lubricant additive or excessive mileage on the fluids so I change the fluids in both diff's and included the extra lubricant. That was about 200 miles ago. Since then, I have seen a slight reduction in the chatter but not as much as I would have expected. Currently, I still get some front diff chatter on sharp turns when diffs are cold but it quickly dies down as it warms up but never totally goes away.
Can I expect an improvement with more miles or is this this normal for the ELSD?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Check

When I put my XK in 4 LO and punch it in gravel I will have all 4 tires leaving spin marks, this does not help your chatter problem but may show you that the Difs. are locking up. Drive it alittle more and change the fluids again as at least in the front it may not have flushed all the crud out.

Swanny

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
My 06 XK Limited has the QDII with Electronic Limited Slip Diff (ELSD). Only had it about one month now and I am trying to understand if it is operating correctly or not. I have owned multiple Jeeps before with true lockers (ARB, etc) as well as a Grand Cherokee with the QDII and Vari-Lock diff's so I understand lockers and what they feel like in different situations. However, my XK ELSD is not acting like I would expect.
When I first got my XK, the clutch plates in the front diff would chatter a lot when making a sharp turn on dry surfaces when I first started driving it each day or after it had sat for awhile during the day. Once it had warmed up, there was significantly less chatter on a sharp turn and no feedback in normal street driving. I had no info on what the PO had done to service the diff's so I did not know how many miles were on the fluid nor if he had added any of the added lubricant that should be used in this type of diff. I suspected that the chatter was due lack of the lubricant additive or excessive mileage on the fluids so I change the fluids in both diff's and included the extra lubricant. That was about 200 miles ago. Since then, I have seen a slight reduction in the chatter but not as much as I would have expected. Currently, I still get some front diff chatter on sharp turns when diffs are cold but it quickly dies down as it warms up but never totally goes away.
Can I expect an improvement with more miles or is this this normal for the ELSD?
It is definitely not normal.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
I don't have ELSD but this definitely does not sound normal to me.

I'd say take Swanny's advice;

2010 inferno said:
Drive it alittle more and change the fluids again as at least in the front it may not have flushed all the crud out.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Did you change the Transfer case oil? It also has a special oil, only available from a Jeep dealer - about $20. On the 06's there was a recall for the transfer case oil - was causing "Lock Shudder" where when wheels turned all the way either way (lock) it would shudder. They changed to a better oil. The oil is NV 245/247 and you need 3.8 pints (2 quarts)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you change the Transfer case oil? It also has a special oil, only available from a Jeep dealer - about $20. On the 06's there was a recall for the transfer case oil - was causing "Lock Shudder" where when wheels turned all the way either way (lock) it would shudder. They changed to a better oil. The oil is NV 245/247 and you need 3.8 pints (2 quarts)
What recall are you referring to? All recalls specific to my VIN have been done and I do not find any recall on the 06 for this issue.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I probably meant a service bulletin on the problem where they changed the fluid type, sorry.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I probably meant a service bulletin on the problem where they changed the fluid type, sorry.
TSB or not, thanks for pointing that out. As a result of your comments, I started searching and found that the NV245/247 fluid is indeed the correct fluid for the NP 245 transfer case on my 06 XK Limited. Early 06 printed owner manuals called out ATF+4 but that was changed to the NV 245/247 in later editions of the printed manual. The on-line version also calls out NV245/247. This fluid only applies to those with the QDII transfer case....not to the QT series. This change has caused a lot of confusion among XK owners as I discovered in a earlier thread I found on this subject.
From what I saw, the clutches in the QDII had problems with the ATF+4 which would not let the clutches release as intended under some circumstances. This caused them to shutter when under stress. I never found any info explaining what was different about the chemistry of the NV245/247 fluid (more slippery?) other than it is not red like ATF+4. The new fluid is yellow so it will be easy to tell if you have the right fluid when you drain the xfer case.
I do not know what fluid mine has now but I ordered some of the Mopar fluid and plan to change mine.
PS - you can get this fluid on line at Amazon for about $13/qt.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
TSB or not, thanks for pointing that out. As a result of your comments, I started searching and found that the NV245/247 fluid is indeed the correct fluid for the NP 245 transfer case on my 06 XK Limited. Early 06 printed owner manuals called out ATF+4 but that was changed to the NV 245/247 in later editions of the printed manual. The on-line version also calls out NV245/247. This fluid only applies to those with the QDII transfer case....not to the QT series. This change has caused a lot of confusion among XK owners as I discovered in a earlier thread I found on this subject.
NP245 Transfer case?

I haven't heard of this before.

In all the documentation I've ever seen and read, all Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II Commanders use the same NV245 transfer case.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NP245 Transfer case?

I haven't heard of this before.

In all the documentation I've ever seen and read, all Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II Commanders use the same NV245 transfer case.
You are correct. I was thinking of the NP transfer cases when I typed that. My bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
PaulD, I don't know much but this I actually know for sure... Best way to tell if ur QD2 is working is to have your rig flexed to the extent that the one of ur front wheels is not touching the ground and have someone video or have someone u trust watch the wheel that is not on the ground. If QD2 is working correctly the wheel off the ground (give it a little time, 5-10 seconds) should be turning at or around the same speed as the tire on the ground. If the tire in the air is speeding much faster than the tire on the ground then ur QD2 is not working properly. Rinse and repeat with tire in rear. You can see on YouTube examples of tire in the air working close to the same speed as the tire on the ground. This is y I waited so long to find a vehicle w ELSD, QD2 in specific. Hope this helps, this is how I picked up my Commander.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Limited Slip Diff Chatter Resolution?

It looks like there are a few Commander owners with the same issue I'm experiencing with my 06 Commander w/QDii.. when cold, a little chatter from the front wheels turning sharp left and/or right.. goes away once driving a few miles and diff warmed up... initial consensus in my web searching was to replace the t-case fluid which I did yesterday and this morning.. same problem... so, I went back to the searching this morning and low and behold I think I may have found the issue based on this Google search (I'm not allowed to post links yet or I would have)... it'll come up, just tried it.. it's from The Transletter blog from Certified Transmission....

jeep-t-case-problem-check-the-axles

This is a must read if you have this same chatter that I'm experiencing and few other Commander QDii owners... kudos to Chris Adams, who wrote the article and through process of elimination and due diligence figured this out.. he discovered a malfunctioning front diff actuator solenoid.. part #5211 4003 AF-001... $68 on Amazon.. the only concern I haven't resolved yet is whether or not I can replace this myself, waiting to hear back from Chris to see... read the article and the follow up posts carefully and you'll know why. Good luck to all who tries this and have been searching for the solution...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jeep-t-case-problem-check-the-axles

I googled this phrase and found the article you referred to. A bad solenoid is certainly a potential cause but it is not the only possibility. Having the wrong diff fluid is also a potential cause. I replaced the diff fluid and installed the correct fluid plus the recommended added lubricant. Mine is much better but I still have mild chatter when cold. I think I will add a bit more of the extra lube and see if that clears it up. If not, replacing the solenoid would be the next step. I was aware the solenoid could be the problem but replacing it is a major PITA and costly so I made that my last option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I googled this phrase and found the article you referred to. A bad solenoid is certainly a potential cause but it is not the only possibility. Having the wrong diff fluid is also a potential cause. I replaced the diff fluid and installed the correct fluid plus the recommended added lubricant. Mine is much better but I still have mild chatter when cold. I think I will add a bit more of the extra lube and see if that clears it up. If not, replacing the solenoid would be the next step. I was aware the solenoid could be the problem but replacing it is a major PITA and costly so I made that my last option.

I was worried it would be a PITA... I'm about to change F & R Diff fluid and the TC with the correct fluid and see how that goes first.. need to do that anyway. I'll report back on how my issue is going...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since a simple fluid change did not fix my problem, I bit the bullet and changed the front diff actuator. That was the problem. No more chatter in front diff. Very smooth now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since a simple fluid change did not fix my problem, I bit the bullet and changed the front diff actuator. That was the problem. No more chatter in front diff. Very smooth now.
Good to hear. That wasn't so bad after all.. Been a few weeks since changing mine as well... still turning smoothly...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts