Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an issue that for atleast the moment has gone away, but I'd like to clarify and fix if possible. On Friday as I was starting up a highway entrance ramp I suddenly noticed my 09 Jeep Commander 3.7l v6 would not accelerate past about 27mph 2000rpms. I pulled off and tried down/up shifting and neither worked. Also the day before this happened my transmission (I'd assume) made a loud thunk whenever i shifted into reverse or drive.

I still had my check engine light on (I never reset it when I changed my spark plugs a couple weeks ago) so I had my friend use his ODB II to run it for codes and issues. While I don't unfortunately remember the codes I do remember the odb II said input speed sensor and air intake temp sensor. He also reset the codes and after that my car was able to accelerate normally again and didn't make the thunk when putting it in reverse or drive, but he warned me it could be 100 mile cycle and I'll see this issue again shortly.

I ordered an input speed sensor from Mopar Parts Overstock and they replied with an email stating the VIN I gave (2009 Jeep Commander V6) doesn't have an input speed sensor.

I've tried looking for similar issues on various forums and search engine searches for both "limp mode" and "input speed sensor" and couldn't find any similar symptoms or overlapping between the two.

I also searched for DIY steps for replacing the input speed sensor on my car (I found a few for Jeep grand cherokees, but had no idea if they'd be the same steps).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any additional information may be needed to help determine the issue I'll do my best to provide it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had mine go in limp mode a few times. It was diagnosed as a bad conductor plate, which has the speed sensors in it. Had that replaced Dec of 13. Thats been resolved, but unfortunately others issues have arrived since...

·
Registered
8 Posts
we just bought a '07 yesterday with the 3.7 and the wife was driving from the grocery store to a destination and said it wouldn't go over 30ish, she pulled over, shut it off and no problem til a few hours later and same thing on her way home. Here's the kicker, drove it home last nite 38 miles with no problems she fills it up and boom drivability problems. Hook my computer up and no codes. Battery does not appear to be very old and I have ordered the special German transmission dipstick tool. If anyone has ideas please help. Ohh and can't find a repair manual to save my @$$...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my friend with the ODB was right, it came back. This time it won't accelerate past 40 (I'm guessing topping out at 2000 rpm in third instead of second). I told Mopar to send the input speed sensor anyway, I'll see if that works and let you guys know when it comes in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
give you all an update on my problem, wife said it did it again so I called Jeep and found the sensor (have the Mopar p/n and found it on amazon) $425 its above the valve body in the trans. Said he has sold alot. Called the dealer and told him (48 hours after purchase) and he needs to talk to his boss. Sounds like a good idea. Just got a picture over text message from the wife with the check engine light on. Will be hooking up my computer with in the hour. In the meantime, waiting to hear back from the dealer I bought it from. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
P2767 is the code. Input speed sensor. Car is locked in limp mode. Called Jeep and no damage to the trans is associated with this failure. Had a work order faxed to the dealer I bought it from and the owner won't be in until noon. You own a business and have a upset customer and noon is the best you can do. Stop it...

·
Registered
559 Posts
give you all an update on my problem, wife said it did it again so I called Jeep and found the sensor (have the Mopar p/n and found it on amazon) $425 its above the valve body in the trans. Said he has sold alot. Called the dealer and told him (48 hours after purchase) and he needs to talk to his boss. Sounds like a good idea. Just got a picture over text message from the wife with the check engine light on. Will be hooking up my computer with in the hour. In the meantime, waiting to hear back from the dealer I bought it from. Stay tuned.
I paid $469. for the part you talking about, installed. They dropped the pan, removed the valve body and replaced the plate, fluid and filter. Its a conductor plate with 2 speed sensors. I think the part alone was $179...call around if your not already committed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
each dealer has its own price. Don't matter to me the dealer I bought the Jeep from has agreed to pay for all parts and I have to pay labor. The assurance of Jeep doing it in case of any issue down the road, priceless. Good luck to everyone on here with the same problem. FYI, non-Mopar sensors are on Amazon for like $130.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just had this happen to me tonight. Ive literally had the commander less than 24 hours from getting it from dealer and all sudden i lost most power only could do 40ish and 2k-2500 rmps max had the pedal floored!!! Got home and then tried to back it in and it wouldnt go into reverse :mad:and even when i was limping home i tried to do the manual shift and nothing!! so I put it in park tried again then it went into reverse....so shut it off waited a minute then restarted went around the block and the commander was back to normal ....so took it down the road where I could try and hit the 55 range and then all sudden engine light came on and back to limp mode. So now after reading the limp post Im worried that its not just the conductor plate sensor because it wouldnt go into reverse also and this whole time no engine light. Im beginning to regret buying a Jeep Commander:SM002:

·
Registered
8 Posts
we never tried the reverse trick. But from what I found it was another symptom. If your check engine light is on have it read by a local parts store or shop. Code P2767 is the answer for a bad conductor plate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep got that code....so I drove to dealer. So they had it and checked into all the codes guess there were three one of which was the conductor plate. But according to the dealer that plate is INSIDE the transmission.....WHICH HAS GOT TO BE THE DUMBEST DESIGN EVER!! SO they said for them to pull transmission apart and put sensors in its the same as putting in a newer transmission .....so they got one with 10k less miles than what I had in it and according to them they are gonna give me in writing a 1yr 12k extended warranty on it. I am still worried that this commander is gonna have more issues. I got to drive the god bless-sed thing 30 miles and the transmission is bad??? :cursin:WTH???? I know it can happen on any car but so far not impressed with commanders. Then again havent had much chance to drive it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
oh man. No new trans needed for this. The conductor plate is above the valve body inside the trans. Thank Mercedes for that one. Dealer book time is 2.5 hours at $125 an hour. I also got 12m/1year warranty. Only reason I had Jeep do it and not the sloppy dealer I bought it from. Only problems I've heard with the commanders is this and some sun roofs leaking. Other then that its a good machine. Don't give up on it yet. Put some miles on her when you get her back and you'll remember why you bought it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah the dealer I bought mine from is replacing the whole thing. I drove it to the dealership according to his request....he gave me loaner had his guys drive it home to see if it happen again after the reset on computer it did. Like I was lying lol...even after he came to my house and computer read it seeing code? SO now hes apparently ordered a newer transmission than mine only has 42k miles on it but is goa give me 6 moth warranty on it. Im nervous about it cause if that part hasn't gone yet on this transmission whos to say it wont? Would I have been better off just having him replace the part? And apparently this is happening to alot of other cars as well? WHY ARENT THEY changing this transmission design and force the car makers to recall them all lol? WTH?? so whos to say this wont happen 6 months from now? on the one they just put in? I think it wrong that the FTC or whoever it is doesnt go after these makers and make them change this design seems like its flawed all around lol. From what I use to see transmissions would last well into 100k range before people had any issues with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
welcome to the electronic age. yeah that was my concern. My dealer offered me to do the work for free or only pay for parts and I have Jeep do the work. With the warranty from Jeep and a mopar part I can sleep at nite. Who would say that the dealer says "hey we put the mopar part in" when they could have put the $117 part in off of Amazon. I would asked your dealer to throw in the updated part while they were there. Amazon has the mopar part for like $289. Much cheaper then the "stealership" mark up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This sounds just like the problem I had in my 02 WJ. Bought the solenoid or whatever it was(its been a while)and pulled the valve body down and replaced it myself. There are a ton of youtube videos on how to do it. Took about an hour but cost me around $350 for the part and around $100 for the proper type and amount of fluid and another $50 or so for gaskets and filters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Makes me wonder though....my dealer bought it from a bigger named local dealers auction. Carfax report was clean as whistle lol... so is it possible that the "X" bigger dealer knew this problem was there used computer to reset the code so engine light went off and sold it like that to other dealer and when they got they were none the wiser to the problem? Did there check through of vehicle listed it sold to me and then out of blue less than 30 miles part fails Just seems way to unlikely that part fails as soon as I drive off lot? ANd if the smaller dealer knew about this why would he try and hide it so he would have to give me loaner car pull it back in sped money and time to fix it? That seems highly unlikely he would do that. The other dealer has reputation of being rip off so would be more apt to look at them.....just pisses me off that this part went right off bat lol. Wondering what you guys think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
just to give you a little car fax history on my jeep. It was in for service on 10/30/14 then traded to the dealer 11/01/14. Hmmm... When I called the shop the owner said he cleared the code and it was a hard code which means that it will come back on after a certain amount of cycles. When the salesman said to me "hey you can hook my computer up and see that there's no codes" should have been more of a red flag to me. It's just how the cards fell. If I owned the dealership and found the problem or called the shop that it was at 2 days prior, I would have either kicked the owners in the knees over the trade in value or fixed it myself and marked up the resale price. Lesson learned on both parties.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep got that code....so I drove to dealer. So they had it and checked into all the codes guess there were three one of which was the conductor plate. But according to the dealer that plate is INSIDE the transmission.....WHICH HAS GOT TO BE THE DUMBEST DESIGN EVER!! SO they said for them to pull transmission apart and put sensors in its the same as putting in a newer transmission .....so they got one with 10k less miles than what I had in it and according to them they are gonna give me in writing a 1yr 12k extended warranty on it. I am still worried that this commander is gonna have more issues. I got to drive the god bless-sed thing 30 miles and the transmission is bad??? :cursin:WTH???? I know it can happen on any car but so far not impressed with commanders. Then again havent had much chance to drive it.
Just had this happen to me tonight. Ive literally had the commander less than 24 hours from getting it from dealer and all sudden i lost most power only could do 40ish and 2k-2500 rmps max had the pedal floored!!! Got home and then tried to back it in and it wouldnt go into reverse :mad:and even when i was limping home i tried to do the manual shift and nothing!! so I put it in park tried again then it went into reverse....so shut it off waited a minute then restarted went around the block and the commander was back to normal ....so took it down the road where I could try and hit the 55 range and then all sudden engine light came on and back to limp mode. So now after reading the limp post Im worried that its not just the conductor plate sensor because it wouldnt go into reverse also and this whole time no engine light. Im beginning to regret buying a Jeep Commander:SM002:
did you ever figure out what was wrong ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts