Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Commander Sport 4.7L V8, 70k mi
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on y'all. New father here and I'm making the XK a little more family friendly. As in I'm trying to make space for all his baby stuff hahahah. So I've got a roof rack and storage bin rigged up that's all good and well. What I'm looking at is the ceiling above the third row. Currently when I go on road trips the dogs are back there with the third row laid down.

Well there's some space above their heads about 2'x3' and 6" high of space. I figure a cargo net rigged up or a shelf or even some good straps anchored to the ceiling would hold some baby stuff.

Just looking to see if anyone has done this or seen a post about it. I'm still searching the site for similar ideas. I'll find something one day if I stop going down rabbit holes.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Grey

White Grey Automotive design Automotive exterior Gadget

Automotive design Automotive exterior Car Vehicle Tints and shades

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,288 Posts
I kind of remember someone doing something like that but can not find it. Use the search box above and happy hunting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've found a few posts about replacing the third row seats with a Storage box and one overland build of a workshop out the back but nothing on ceiling storage yet

·
Registered
23 Posts
Blue Ridge Overland Gear sells an "attic" for a Tacoma. Perhaps you can look at that for ideas? Years ago I purchased a net from Wraingler that I repurposed into an attic in my '96 XJ.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue Ridge Overland Gear sells an "attic" for a Tacoma. Perhaps you can look at that for ideas? Years ago I purchased a net from Wraingler that I repurposed into an attic in my '96 XJ.
Yep that's a good way to get it done. The CDR doesn't have any anchor points unless I'm going through the headliner. Welp time to see if anyone has any pictures of the third row ceiling with headliner removed

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 135k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
280 Posts
I think youd be better off sectioning off a bit of the 3rd rw floorspace or maybe building a +6" platform for the dogs, and storage under that, vs overhead storage,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think youd be better off sectioning off a bit of the 3rd rw floorspace or maybe building a +6" platform for the dogs, and storage under that, vs overhead storage,
I had some ideas about removing the third row and installing a box with carpeted top for the dogs, seen a few of the posts here about it too

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Instead of mounting to the inside roof you might try to use tension poles between the sides. Like done with shower curtain rods, or clothing hangers for cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
You got me thinking again, very dangerous :ROFLMAO:
How about building a 4 post frame to fit the area and then hang the net from it. It should be easy to remove when not needed. Built from metal pipes or unistrut.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not opposed to a little bit of sketch, I wouldn't be using this for anything heavy weight just bulky plastic baby things. Mainly a pack and play or a folding bassinet.

I prodded around above the headliner. There's a couple places to anchor.

I also removed the third row. I'm looking at making a platform with a hinge. Maybe some hydraulics to help lift it...

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Whatever you come up with post some pictures.(y)

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
07 Jeep Commander Overland
36 Posts
The net is ideal for light weight baby items. I have 4 daughters and wouldn’t be able to remove the third row. I will see if anyone has better overhead storage suggestions as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts